This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How to safely fall out of a handstand

Started by Stantz, August 22, 2013 · 3 Replies · 285 Views

Stantz

Hi all,

 

I have just purchased the Handstand One program and cannot wait to get started.  However, before I get going on it, I thought it would be pertinent to learn the best way to safely fall out of a handstand.  I searched the forums and couldn't find any information about this question.  I realize that there are answers to be found on the internet, but I would rather take advice from the people on this forum, for obvious reasons.  

 

Thanks!

Joshua Slocum

There is quite a lot of preparatory work before you begin actually balancing on your hands, so get to it!

 

The safest way to fall out of a handstand depends on which way you're falling. If you're falling chest first, just put one foot down to catch your fall. If you're falling back first, the best option for a beginner is to roll forward out of the handstand. So if you're not comfortable with forward rolls, start doing them! A more advanced option is to pirouette 180 degrees: then you're falling chest first and can put your feet down.

Matt Perrett

Yeah this is a good post.  I should've read prior to handstand training.  I recently fell flat on my back out of a headstand n am now in all sorts o bother around sacrum glute region.

Guido Franchetti

H1 starts light with tripod (PE1). Then you work on headstand variations (PE2-3), something I find much easier to roll out of (but I id a few years of judo which definitely help). Next elements focus on shoulder mobility and then handstand against a wall. So you are safe to start the H1 trip. If you'll find that you feel uncomfortable rolling out of a headstand you can either practice in front of a wall, or learn how to forward roll. That and other rolling techniques, among which rolling out a handstand, are covered in M1.