This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Chinese handstand-use ceiling?

Started by Fit-Bull90, August 20, 2013 · 6 Replies · 227 Views

Fit-Bull90

Hello!

I was wondering if it is okay to use ceiling instead of a bar or door frame for the Chinese Handstand? I have a pair of pushup handles and they enable me to just reach the toes to the ceiling. Could this be a suitable substitute for a bar?

Christian

Anything that makes you have to stretch for it while keeping a good line.

Jon Douglas

The issue with a ceiling is that no matter how careful you are you may end up bracing by pushing against it, particularly if you've not yet got full extension.

How much of an issue that is in the context of the rest of this work I'm not 100%... are there no doorways you might be able to use?

FredInChina
Fit-Bull90 said:

(...) I have a pair of pushup handles and they enable me to just reach the toes to the ceiling (...)

 

Glue them on the ceiling to rest your toes against. :)

(That solves the possible bracing issue that Charm mentions)

Christian

Listen to Fred when it comes to anything chinese :-)

Fit-Bull90

 

Charm said:

The issue with a ceiling is that no matter how careful you are you may end up bracing by pushing against it, particularly if you've not yet got full extension.

How much of an issue that is in the context of the rest of this work I'm not 100%... are there no doorways you might be able to use?

 

Yes, that is what I was thinking aswell. No appropriate doorways, will have to look for something.

Jon Douglas
Fit-Bull90 said:

   

Yes, that is what I was thinking aswell. No appropriate doorways, will have to look for something.

Sorry to not have suggestions, only bad news :(

I think the real problem comes if you don't yet have full extension, so although it's perfect height now you might gain another cm or so as you work the element and IM, which may or may not defeat the purpose as you may then need to break form to 'keep' it at the perfect height. See what I mean?