This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Mastery in Handstand

Started by Anders Rudolfsson, August 20, 2013 · 9 Replies · 502 Views

Anders Rudolfsson

Hi.

 

Im am so new to this and do not know if I have misunderstood the rules of progression. I am doing the F1 + H1, 4 days Foundation + 2 days HS. And being new and not very athletic I have begun at PE1, Week1 on all exercises not to miss anything and to really juice everything I can out of every exercise. 

 

Anyway my question is this:

It will take 12 weeks to master any PE, HS PE1 or PE2 for example. This means that it will take 12 x 12 weeks just to get through the preparatory elements of the handstand, thats 3 years. And more than 3 years more to master the full 2 min HS. Is this correct?

 

Best regards

 

Anders

Alessandro Mainente

yes this is the idea, but consider that for the biggest part of people that the level of immobility is paired with lack of strength in the traps and external rotator muscles. as it increase as you can pass over.

For one element , assumed that you have mastered the mobility, you don't need to start everytime on the first week of the template if currently you can perform, for example, the 4th week. 

IN this way the process is a little bi accelerated. Of course understand that this is not valid for mobility. if you have previously mastered the element but not the mobility you have to rest on it.

the fact that sometime you need to stay on one element for weeks and weeks, i stay on IM7 for 5 months, is a symptom of a very good immobility. don't be afraid of that, results will come!

Jon Douglas

Generally we have been talking about splitting one cycle into three mini-cycles beginning wks 1, 5, 9. Depending on how much you are currently capable of (ie how far from mastery benchmarks you are) you may not need the full 12 week rotation to get your PE/IM up to the standard.

You should also run your first session with each new progression as a test to see how close you are. Then you can make an informed (ego aside) decision on where to begin this time.

Progress tends to come in stops and starts, spurts and bottlenecks. I spent several months working through the dislocate elements, then 3 months on wall wrist HS. Working the hell out of it made testing through the next few elements easy, until I hit the next bottleneck (representing a major weak link in my str or mobility). Try to enjoy the journey :)

Michael S.

Keep in mind that you are not working towards a 2min HS, you are working towards 5 sets of a perfectly aligned 2min Handstand! I remember the course had the tag line "Balance through strength" which is exactly how this course is working, first build up solid shoulder strength and mobility, then build strength and endurance in supported positions and then you master balance and alignment. (At least thats way i understand it) That naturally takes way more time than just getting upside down at the wall (though most probably not the full 6years depending on your strength and weaknesses) but will be ultimatly much more rewarding.

Also you will have a freestanding HS much earlier before you reach the specific element, but being on an earlier progression just means that there are better execises to train the current level.

Anders Rudolfsson

Thank you all for the good replys. I will definitely enjoy this ride! :)

Jon Douglas
Anders Rudolfsson said:

Thank you all for the good replys. I will definitely enjoy this ride! :)

Its a fair bit of fun! I have never had anything like a good handmaid

LateStarter@46
Jon Douglas said:

Its a fair bit of fun! I have never had anything like a good handmaid

Hee hee hee

Jon Douglas
LateStarter@46 said:

Hee hee hee

Holy crap autocorrect! hahahaha!

Nothing like a good *handstand*. which i just had to manually correct from handmaid again!

My point was its coming along, but i feel nothing i can say will redeem that, how did it slip past me....

ausswe

I am still in the first part of the handstand material and I can consistently get into a pretty decent handstand for a few seconds. I imagine by the time I get to progression 7 and onwards ill have a pretty solid handstand anyway then it will just be making small adjust,nets and increasing endurance.