This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

FL/PE5 Mastery :-)

Started by Christian, August 18, 2013 · 21 Replies · 881 Views

Christian

So just wanted to share I did mastery of HBH today. First try 5 x 60 EASY sets. First 2 I could have read a book.

 

HOW this happened? I stopped being a wuss on sHBR and really pushed the comfort zone the last 3 weeks. Been stuck at that one for a while, always due to burning when I came to 4 x 48 and I let this stop me.

 

But after deciding to just push through the burn and keep pushing the reps (note the form is not suffering here, just me...) I gradually managed 1 x 60, 3 x 40, that came to 2 x 60, 3 x 45 and then the first 60 become easy, then the next 60. So when I did my 5 x 60 of these, the first 2 sets were no sweat, then some burn and last was a mental pusher (again form stayed good).

 

So today I tried directly for mastery HBH and it was very easy, almost no burning.

 

Take away, don't be afraid to push the comfort zone.

Coach Sommer

Well done, Christian. And well said.

Many beginner's often confuse not training to failure with not training to discomfort. Nothing could be further from the truth. If form or tempo are not being affected, they are not close to failure; regardless of how uncomfortable they may feel.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Christian

:-) Thanks coach. The reveal of the curriculum has really boosted everything. Time to get serious.

Jon Douglas
Christian said:

:-) Thanks coach. The reveal of the curriculum has really boosted everything. Time to get serious.

Good for you :)

 

Congrats on the pass too!

Hercules

Well done!

 

I have been doing a LOT of Fl Pe 1 - 3. Due to injury I haven't really been structuring my training (and pe 4 was feeling uncomfortable on the injured shoulder) - sometimes I just put on the radio (and hope the piece isn't too long), wait for the start of a piece, then work back from Pe 3 to complete form failure, take a 30 second break, pe 2 and 1 on the same method. If I make it to the end of the piece, I win

 

The reveal of the new curriculum gives me an even bigger boost! 

Michael Borregaard

Yes, well done, and inspiring to me. Sorry for being obtuse - where is this new curriculum that you talk about? Am I missing something?

Christian
Hercules said:

 

For me, in particular, this sentence:

"Now all of you need to work harder and master Foundation"

Boosted me from FL PE4 to 6. 

 

Alot in F1 is quite "hard" due to the high reps and low rest, but it's about pushing through. Like for fun I tried mastery for dips AFTER an F1 workout (bear in mind I'm polishing my push ups) and did quite easy mastery for them even after having pushed the push ups. (Even did the wrong iM, did the arms swing for neg dips instead, so even less rest)

Christian

Accomplishment at PE5 = 2 x 60 , 3 x 50 at PE6.

 

SOON!! :icon_twisted:

HamdiC

Good job, man. I notice too that with fl/pe2 i reach a "burn wall" at about rep 30 each time, but as coach describes perfectly, it's not approaching faliure. When i push through the wall, i keep getting good reps until the form starts to deteriorate, at which point im at faliure. The funny thing about that "burn wall", is when i first hit it, in a flash there is an uncontrolable urge to stop the exercise, just suddenly comes over me and it takes a will to not flinch from that urge. Then that feeling passes pretty quick and im able to then continue through to failure. It's almost as if the nervous system or something suddenly sends out a distress signal, and you got to learn to not let it phase you.

Jon Douglas
HamdiC said:

Good job, man. I notice too that with fl/pe2 i reach a "burn wall" at about rep 30 each time, but as coach describes perfectly, it's not approaching faliure. When i push through the wall, i keep getting good reps until the form starts to deteriorate, at which point im at faliure. The funny thing about that "burn wall", is when i first hit it, in a flash there is an uncontrolable urge to stop the exercise, just suddenly comes over me and it takes a will to not flinch from that urge. Then that feeling passes pretty quick and im able to then continue through to failure. It's almost as if the nervous system or something suddenly sends out a distress signal, and you got to learn to not let it phase you.

Yep! Same experience with multiple elements! :)

Christian

Yup, felt i broke through something with pushing the sHBR. I either tolerate the burn better or it has decreased. The reason for not making full mastery on PE6 was now that form started to give on the last 3 sets at 50. Started to slightly lose the hollow so terminated them. Should be done in a couple of work outs. Then the blessed rest that is F2 :-) definitively gonna keep them as warm up until i pass lvl 1 mastery though.

Jon Douglas
Christian said:

Then the blessed rest that is F2 :-)

AHAHAHAHAHA straddle planche mobility.

Christian

I meant for FL :-P . I think the planche mobility in F2 is why I'm so in love with my planche leans.

Hercules

I haven't even brought F2 yet. You're making me curious as to what to expect :) (though I'm going to be back to scapular shrugs)

 

And yes, I also find there's a sort of barrier with horse stance work. I improved my mobility to where I can easily get down to parallel - when I get to 30s, I find a burn coming on, which eases off, but then strikes again at the minute mark. Yes, a 1 minute horse stance. I got quite a bit of work to be doing :) Completely off topic, but I'm thinking about using the 60s template and going from week 5.

Jon Douglas
Hercules said:

I haven't even brought F2 yet. You're making me curious as to what to expect :) (though I'm going to be back to scapular shrugs)

 

And yes, I also find there's a sort of barrier with horse stance work. I improved my mobility to where I can easily get down to parallel - when I get to 30s, I find a burn coming on, which eases off, but then strikes again at the minute mark. Yes, a 1 minute horse stance. I got quite a bit of work to be doing :) Completely off topic, but I'm thinking about using the 60s template and going from week 5.

Think for a moment about EXACTLY, to perfect accuracy, how much better that is than a 0 second horse stance. Literally INFINITE times better.

Modesty is a virtue, but there's no need to undersell your hard work just because you aren't breaking world records either :)

chobbs

The 60s template sounds like a good choice, be sure to pick a good mobility exercise to pair it with. Something that unloads the tissues used for the horse stance would be my choice. :)

 

- Chris

Christian

And today fell PE6 :icon_twisted:

 

It's been nice, but don't worry you will still be a apart of my training. Either as warm up or a finisher just to keep you fresh and strong.

Jon Douglas
Christian said:

And today fell PE6 :icon_twisted:

 

It's been nice, but don't worry you will still be a apart of my training. Either as warm up or a finisher just to keep you fresh and strong.

Well done :)

Hercules

Great job Christian!

 

I am going from week 5 on Pe 3 because sometimes my hips can get tight in the position and want to get get past that. With the new found attitude and realisation of what "failure" is following the horse stance work, I think I could just about manage 4x48 but I really push the hollow, so that would be pretty hard right now, and would probably get the snapping hip aggravated from it - one of the reasons the pre-enlightened me pushed a questionable mastery on this back before the break.

 

chobbs said:

The 60s template sounds like a good choice, be sure to pick a good mobility exercise to pair it with. Something that unloads the tissues used for the horse stance would be my choice. :)

 

- Chris

As for this, I picked a legs apart froggie split thing on the the ground where I lean back - each lean constitutes a rep for 10 reps.

Christian

Thanks man and good luck with PE3. I spent about 5 months doing PE3 and 4 untill the breakthrough chronicled here.

chobbs
Hercules said:

As for this, I picked a legs apart froggie split thing on the the ground where I lean back - each lean constitutes a rep for 10 reps.

 

Sounds like a good choice for pairing. You should feel it alleviating some of the tension built up between sets of those long holds.

 

- Chris