This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 090213

Started by Coach Sommer, February 13, 2009 · 14 Replies · 1,859 Views

Coach Sommer

WOD%20-%20-090213.jpg

Perform:

12 cycles of Wrist Handstands

Finish with 2 x 10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) Each cycle consists of 30 work followed by 45 seconds of rest. Go directly from one cycle to the next with no additional rest.

2) The above workout construction will provide a total of 15 minutes HS work.

3) A Wrist HS is a specialized Wall HS where you attempt to move your wrist within 1-2†of the wall and then remain there for the duration of your static HS.

4) Pressing your face into the wall and removing all back arch and shoulder pike will greatly increase your success in getting your wrist close to the wall.

5) Both hands must be equidistant from the wall.

6) Strive to get as close as possible, but Do Not go closer to the wall than you can hold for the 30 seconds.

Blairbob

Umm, isn't that how a wall HS should normally be performed? I was wondering should I do some basics and the usual before the WOD like presses and height jumps. I was just wondering if it was enough work or if I should do a normal gymnastics workout then the GB WOD to cap it off.

Maybe I should do some steady state programming like planche and lever and then hit the GB WOD unless they cross-over?

Edward Smith

I did 12 cycles of 15 seconds. It fitted in well with my current focus of handstand/press handstands. It was of those workouts that makes you think what your doing it for!

Coach Sommer
essay on Wall Handstands Coach Sommer":1k2txss4]Place your wrists approximately 4-6" from the base of the wall

As noted in the quote above, most Wall Handstands are done with the wrists further from the wall. For a Wrist Handstand, strive to get the wrists as close to 1" or less to the wall as possible.

For those few who feel they are too advanced for Wrist Handstands, they may perform their handstands free standing on either the floor or the Xtreme Rings.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

David Henry

I don't mean to be a nitpicker but I thought I'd let people know it's a total of 6 minutes of actual HS work :D

aw0n0

this workout is definitely NOT as easy as it looks. :roll:

Coach Sommer

The fifteen minutes total reflects the combined times of both the work and rest periods.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Blairbob

The Devil is in the details. This would explain the differences I've been seeing in trying to shoot for longer HS hold times in my boys and myself.

sasquatch

I always try to get my wrists as close to the wall as I can, but my hold times are pathetic. The longest I've done in it for, in one go, is thirty secounds.

It's harder then doing a free-standing handstand for me... maybe cause I can't arch my back.

Jason Stein

12 cycles of Wrist Handstands, 30 sec. on/45 sec. off

Wrists approx. 1-2-inches from wall.

2 x 10 Wrist Pushups

Side, front split work.

Coach Sommer,

Two brief questions:

1. We were discussing volume and recovery today after the workout. I can't find the thread on the Forum from Ido Portal, but he mentioned decreasing volume on a cyclical basis.

What would you recommend for those of us following the WODs on the site? Say, reducing volume by half every fourth week?

Or are the WODs on the site going to be designed to load, overload, and then recover every 8-12 weeks (as I believe is mentioned as Steady State in your book)?

2. Can you confirm an Equilibrist session at the May GB seminar?

best,

jason

Blairbob

Did Fran after work. Did GB WOD when I got home as Rx'd. Ta-da, no biggie.

Laney

I did Friday's WOD today (Saturday). Thursday was a rest day. And Friday I did my own WOD (weight vest, KB swings, pushups, jump squats: see blog). These handstands were not as easy as I thought they might be. I don't normally do my handstands facing the wall, so this is good! Plus it forces me to do a good roll out of it :D

12 cycles of Wrist Handstands (facing wall, hands about 5-6 inches from wall, held each for 15 seconds)

Finish with 2 x 10 Wrist Pushups

On a side note: Coach Sommer- why is your website set up so that we have to scroll side to side to see everything?

Coach Sommer

The main page viewing of the forum is restricted by the frame of the blog. To see the full page clearly, you will need to view the entries from within the forum itself.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Stephen Casey

Two questions from my workout log:

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1628

How to improvise for lack of a weighted vest doing deck squats?

How to improve on rolling out of a stomach-to-wall handstand without hitting so much on my [stephen] shoulders.

Details on the second question are in my workout long. Any suggestions are appreciated.

~Stephen and son

Coach Sommer
How to improvise for lack of a weighted vest doing deck squats?

Hold a weight plate in front of you during the movement.

How to improve on rolling out of a stomach-to-wall handstand without hitting so much on my shoulders.

It sounds as though you are leaning too far forward initially. Beginning the roll with an elbow should prove helpful in making hte roll more comfortable.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer