This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Abdominal Muscle Fatigue

Started by rholmes75, August 16, 2013 · 5 Replies · 249 Views

rholmes75

For the last several weeks I've experienced a high level of abdominal muscle fatigue. I've progressed to the 11th week of the bent hollow body rock (after repeating weeks 9-11 again). By the end of the first cycle of the bent hollow body rock, I was working my abs ragged because of the high reps of the BHBR, the forarm Plank, and the straddle v-ups. I have recovered somewhat now that my reps have lessened with the plank and v-ups. However, I was wondering if its permissible to take a workout or two off of a singe excercise (BHBR) to recover fully so I can reach mastery. I've worked out for a long time and I know the difference between when I'm just too weak and and when I'm tired...and my abs are tired. Let me know what you think.

Christian

Wrong forum :-) Repost in F1 and we can talk.

Christian

Moved by magic.

 

I THINK that it's OK to listen to your body and every now and then focus more on 1 exercise than another.

But if you have to do this every time to make the reps then you are not at mastery level and need to rethink which week you are on on all exercises. You should be able to do week 11 for all exercises in the same workout when you are there.

mm356
rholmes75 said:

For the last several weeks I've experienced a high level of abdominal muscle fatigue. I've progressed to the 11th week of the bent hollow body rock (after repeating weeks 9-11 again). By the end of the first cycle of the bent hollow body rock, I was working my abs ragged because of the high reps of the BHBR, the forarm Plank, and the straddle v-ups. I have recovered somewhat now that my reps have lessened with the plank and v-ups. However, I was wondering if its permissible to take a workout or two off of a singe excercise (BHBR) to recover fully so I can reach mastery. I've worked out for a long time and I know the difference between when I'm just too weak and and when I'm tired...and my abs are tired. Let me know what you think.

I feel your pain - literally.  I'm also in the final stages of both BHBR and straddle v-ups and mine are fatigued as well, so you are most definitely not alone.  

 

I'm no expert, but if you are too sore then it just means you're not ready for mastery.  I'm just taking the approach to do what I can (I only did 3x15 sVups instead of 4x15 as prescribed), back off if need be, and then make another run at the cycle if need be.  Fatigue and soreness are elements that can most definitely be overcome with time and persistence.

 

What's interesting about both of these exercises is that the next progression is simply a harder version of the same movement, so there's absolutely no need to even be tempted to rush the process, as you'll just be digging your hole deeper and deeper for the next step.

Jon Douglas
mm356 said:

What's interesting about both of these exercises is that the next progression is simply a harder version of the same movement, so there's absolutely no need to even be tempted to rush the process, as you'll just be digging your hole deeper and deeper for the next step.

This. It's unfortunate, but if we could do everything in the course we wouldn't need the course, would we? :)

When you're doing 5x 15-60 reps it can be easy to lose track of how many you're doing-- in the sense of, a small improvement across so many reps is sometimes harder to take satisfaction in than a 1 rep improvement on a 5r mastery element. Think of it as the same amount of progress spread over a larger area, like pouring water into a wide low dish rather than a narrow graduated cylinder. One day's difference is not so obvious, but it does build up.

AND it leaves you with a broad base, a 'foundation' if you will'

AND if you don't top it up it consistently it slowly leaks away, which is less obvious in high-rep elements than....

Holy crap, am I great at metaphors or what? XD

FredInChina
Charm said:

(...) am I great at metaphors or what? XD

 

One of the best Charm, one of the best :)