This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Elevated planche lean on bars instead of floor, is that ok?

Started by The Wykydtron, August 16, 2013 · 6 Replies · 428 Views

The Wykydtron

I have been doing the elevated planche lean (sPL PE6), on either handles or dumbbells which allows my hands and wrists to be in a neutral position with palms facing in. When I do them with my hands facing backwards on the floor, it hurt so I had to switch.

I didn't have that problem with the normal planche leans, just the elevated type. The problem is this week I'll finish the mastery, so after a deload week I would move on to the next element. Should I advance, or re-do the elevated leans with my hands on the floor now?

Joshua Slocum

You should not do planche leans with your hands facing backwards at your current level. That's why it hurt! You should have your hands out to the sides or facing forwards.

 

Ideally it shouldn't matter much to you whether you're using parallettes or the floor. 

 

My recommendation would be to start again from week 5 or 9 with your hands on the floor, facing outwards or forwards, to make sure you're comfortable being on your hands. 

The Wykydtron
Joshua Slocum said:

You should not do planche leans with your hands facing backwards at your current level. That's why it hurt! You should have your hands out to the sides or facing forwards.

 

Ideally it shouldn't matter much to you whether you're using parallettes or the floor. 

 

My recommendation would be to start again from week 5 or 9 with your hands on the floor, facing outwards or forwards, to make sure you're comfortable being on your hands. 

 

Ok, I'm new to this so I didn't know what was best. I'll do a 4 week mini cycle after the deload week. Is hands backwards something that is eventually worked up to? Or is it personal preference?

 

Zach Armijo said:

:facepalm:

 

With what Josh said: you can't just leap into hands backwards and not expect either pain or a highly decreased lean.....or even both! 

 

How would I know? I'm new to this stuff. I read a post on here by the other Josh that said learning the planche with hands back would be better in the long run, so I gave it a shot. It didn't take long to figure out I should switch, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't hindering my progress

FredInChina
Zach Armijo said:

Unfortunately, it is one of those things that 1) now you know & 2) you have to dig a little more in the forum and read where other people found out the hard way as well. Be thankful you weren't more ambitious with other exercises and learned by injury. These lessons are learned in blood. Just try and find yourself looking at someone else's :P

 

This is something BtGB could be a little bit more proactive on: Maybe a "read that first" sticky? Maybe a paragraph in the membership confirmation e-mail warning of the dangers of attempting later progressions without first developing a solid foundation?

Maybe a screen popup the first time every new fora is visited by a new member, or maybe a paragraph in the terms of service that new prospective members must sign on?

 

Injury will always hamper progress, if we can help prevent it, everyone is already a step ahead. :)

Coach Sommer

... Or people could simply mirror the same hand position that is demonstrated in the video.

Attention to detail is essential for long term success in GST.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Joshua Naterman
The Wykydtron said:

Ok, I'm new to this so I didn't know what was best. I'll do a 4 week mini cycle after the deload week. Is hands backwards something that is eventually worked up to? Or is it personal preference?

 

 

How would I know? I'm new to this stuff. I read a post on here by the other Josh that said learning the planche with hands back would be better in the long run, so I gave it a shot. It didn't take long to figure out I should switch, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't hindering my progress

This other Josh never suggested you do things that hurt. In fact, this other Josh (and several other members) specifically mentioned in many places that one has to move forward more slowly because of the increased pressure on the inner elbows. There are many long discussions about the risks, rewards, and relative merits of many things on this site, and most of this happened before Foundation existed.

 

If you don't read these conversations in their entirety (which can be hard to do, because there often aren't links between related threads), AND ask questions BEFORE you do something that is not in the Foundation program, you are probably going to get hurt. Having said all that, don't feel bad about making mistakes... we all have made mistakes. Just make sure that your mistakes propel you towards following  newer advice, and advice that is more suited to your level. That's what Foundation, and the entire new GB University course structure, has been created for.

 

Now that there are formalized training programs available for everything (Foundation, Handstand, etc) GST-related, you should focus on copying what you see on the screen as accurately and precisely as possible. Mirroring the hand positions you see in the Foundation videos is the right way to go. Everything is being set up to get you where you want to go as quickly and safely as possible, so stick with the new stuff, not the old.

VegVeg

just a quick experience i had with planche leans [before f1 existed ;d ] :

 

hands 100% forward REALLY hurt my wrist and eventually my left hand hurt every time I used 'pinching strength' .