Pressing routine

Started by otheralex, February 12, 2009 · 4 Replies · 2,618 Views

otheralex

Hello GB Community,

I've been exercising using Coach Sommer's techniques for a little over a month and refining my workout plan as I go. The one area I'm a little worried about right now is my pressing routine. This is what I have been doing lately:

3-4 sets - XR PPP

3-4 sets - XR Bulgarian pushups

3-4 sets - XR pushups

I do this twice a week. Part of my concern comes from the fact that I don't feel much muscle soreness after these workouts. What do you think I need to improve?

Thanks!

Blairbob

Some days I'm not technically sore but let's say after doing a lot of pushing the day before, I just won't be able to push for anything ( dips, hspu ). I can feel fine but have nothing or very little in the bank. Test the next day and see where' you're at.

Brandon

How many reps in each set?

braindx

Soreness does not indicate progress. Thus, I consider it generally bad because if it's too intense it can hinder your workouts.

Progress is indicated if you're getting stronger and being able to do harder variations. I'm rarely sore now and I keep on progressing with my strength.

otheralex

Thanks for the replies!

This is where I am on reps right now:

3-4 sets - XR PPP - generally 3 to 5 reps

3-4 sets - XR Bulgarian pushups - 8 to 10 reps

3-4 sets - XR pushups - 10+

I usually try to go to failure on my last set of each exercise. I also have been doing a set or two of standard pushups to failure on the floor at the end.