First ring muscle-ups

Started by DieKatze, August 15, 2013 · 13 Replies · 2,815 Views

DieKatze

hey guys,

 

today i played a lil bit around during my warmup and decided to try some muscle-ups. to my surprise i already got them 2 of them (in separate sets) the first try today. as you can see, they are obviously not perfect. what do you think i should focus on in the future? what comes to my mind first is of course the control and speed of ascent/descent. less lean during the transition would also be nice i guess. anything else you would suggest? critique is very welcome!

 

thank you very much!

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SaT6ff6-5U

Bipocni

Congratulations on your first muscle up!

 

Those were very well done.

LateStarter@46

Very nice, you look like you've been doing them for years. IMHO even more impressive is getting rid of the lean. Keep going!

MvdB

Nicely done! Two things I noticed: 1) it looks like you're not fully locking your elbows in the ring support position, 2) you're using very short straps - in time, you will need to start using longer straps. This will make everything you do on rings a lot harder (which is a good thing, I think ;)) but it is also necessary if you want to perform rings series that include passing through inverted hang, or at a later stage include ring handstands.

B1214N
Michaël said:

2) you're using very short straps - in time, you will need to start using longer straps. This will make everything you do on rings a lot harder (which is a good thing, I think ;)) but it is also necessary if you want to perform rings series that include passing through inverted hang, or at a later stage include ring handstands.

Hanging skills on the longer straps don't seem to be harder. I've also heard that MUs get noticeably easier with longer straps somehow. Of course the dips will be harder on the long rings.

Jon Douglas

I think the MU thing is because the rings CAN move more. Lets you move the rings around you more, instead of moving yourself around the rings like a fixed bar MU

Jono

I'm actually really curious to try full length rings at uni in October, to see whether they still feel shaky or not. I only ever went twice last academic year (September and January), and the ring muscle-ups felt very shaky, especially the dip phase. It wasn't until February that I purchased some rings for home use. I'm much more accustomed to them now (didn't even know what RTO was in September/January). I hung them from a basketball rim a few weeks ago (with much longer straps than I typically use at home when hanging them from my pull-up bar), and I couldn't notice the difference at all. I'm pretty sure it'll be the same when I try the full length rings.

B1214N
Charm said:

I think the MU thing is because the rings CAN move more. Lets you move the rings around you more, instead of moving yourself around the rings like a fixed bar MU

That makes sense.

Bipocni
Charm said:

I think the MU thing is because the rings CAN move more. Lets you move the rings around you more, instead of moving yourself around the rings like a fixed bar MU

Probably the same reason a slow bar muscle up is harder than a slow rings muscle up.

Jon Douglas
Bipocni said:

Probably the same reason a slow bar muscle up is harder than a slow rings muscle up.

That's my take on it.

DieKatze

thank you very much for your answers. i will keep you up to date with my progress :)

alempoli91

Hi mates... I have problems during the transition...How can I improve??? That exercises I have to do??? 

 

 

Many thanks and congratulations to all!!!

Bipocni
alempoli91 said:

Hi mates... I have problems during the transition...How can I improve??? That exercises I have to do??? 

 

 

Many thanks and congratulations to all!!!

Russian dips and false grip pullups touching your chest to the bar.

DieKatze

hi guys, i took your advice to heart and tried some slow muscle ups last night during my warm-ups. i guess i made a lot of progress even though my transition is still very unstable. i did not really work muscle ups but instead did l-sit-pull-ups (false grip), one-arm-chin-progressions, wall-assisted HSPUs (hands elevated) and dips/RTO dips. 

 

this video shows 2 muscle ups and 2 sets of RTO dips. during the first set i arch heavily for the last rep and i tried to erase this habit in the second set and keep a more hollow body position. 

 

critique is once again very welcome   :)

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJvCUkud0oA&feature=youtu.be