Mobility for stiff leg windmill

Started by ZeroGravityFox, August 15, 2013 · 2 Replies · 4,582 Views

ZeroGravityFox

Hi everyone. I'm having mobility issues with the stiff leg windmill. I can't keep my legs straight during the movement and one leg ends up bending a lot at the bottom. What should I do?

Ravn

Warm up thoroughly before attempting to stretch, and try the PNF approach: go as deep as you can with straight legs, then hold the position for a good ten seconds or so. Then tense everything hard for six to ten seconds and release the tension, but hold the position. Upon releasing the tension you should be able to lean deeper into the stretch. Repeat three to four times until you hit a spot, where you can't go further. Stay at that position for a while, then slowly return to the upright position. I believe Kit Laughlin's recommendation is to do this as an intense stretching session once a week, and then limbering throughout the week, i.e. Actually using your new found ROM, so that the body gets used to it.

I just do it in conjunction with F1/H1 and it works great.

ZeroGravityFox
Ravn said:

Warm up thoroughly before attempting to stretch, and try the PNF approach: go as deep as you can with straight legs, then hold the position for a good ten seconds or so. Then tense everything hard for six to ten seconds and release the tension, but hold the position. Upon releasing the tension you should be able to lean deeper into the stretch. Repeat three to four times until you hit a spot, where you can't go further. Stay at that position for a while, then slowly return to the upright position. I believe Kit Laughlin's recommendation is to do this as an intense stretching session once a week, and then limbering throughout the week, i.e. Actually using your new found ROM, so that the body gets used to it.

I just do it in conjunction with F1/H1 and it works great.

Thanks! I will try this out.