Alternative Postures to Using a Laptop

Started by Sam London, August 14, 2013 · 10 Replies · 3,912 Views

Sam London

Hi,

 

As part of my freelance work I have to spend many hours per day (8-12!!!) sitting at a desk using my laptop to type. I believe that too much sitting is not good for my mobility so I attempt to split my sitting time up with walks, stretching and other exercise.

 

When I work from home away from client visibility I have also been trying the following while typing:

* Laying on the floor on my stomach (almost like the yoga sphinx pose).

* Practicing deep squat while typing on a low level table.

* Standing and placing my laptop on a raised shelf.

 

Does anyone have comments or any ideas about other alternatives to sitting at a desk to use a laptop (or book, mobile, device etc.)?

LateStarter@46

I have tried computer on floor whilst sititng in a pancake stretch (legs out to side) - only for limited periods though.

 

Better still, I have a timer going off every 15mins for 30secs during which I do wrist and leg stretches - see http://www.dejal.com/timeout/ (for Macs, and free).

Keilani Gutierrez

I've been standing up as much as i can but when my legs are tired, i'll sit for a bit or lay on my stomach, same as you. 

Bipocni

Some people use a standing desk...

 

I sit at a laptop all day during my leisure time and it hasn't affected my mobility, only my posture.  Because i keep my legs tucked up a deep squat has never bothered me, nor a pike stretch.  However, my pelvic tilt is dreadful.

Keilani Gutierrez
Bipocni said:

Some people use a standing desk...

 

I sit at a laptop all day during my leisure time and it hasn't affected my mobility, only my posture.  Because i keep my legs tucked up a deep squat has never bothered me, nor a pike stretch.  However, my pelvic tilt is dreadful.

same. it's been slowly improving with the hip flexor stretches but i think i'm going to have to do something about my lower back as well. hopefully i'll get some light shed on this at the seminar. 

Bipocni
KeilaniG said:

hopefully i'll get some light shed on this at the seminar. 

Jealous...

Keilani Gutierrez
Bipocni said:

Jealous...

this paycheck might not cut the mustard, so i'll probably have to make it to the may one or next year. 

Bro'

I think you shouldn't worry too much, given what you're already doing. It's not just sitting that's bad (and you already have incoporated alternatives), it's staying in one position for too long. For instance, standing desks are great, but if you just stand for 8-10 hours, it won't do you much more good than sitting all day long.

You are cycling through several positions, just remember to keep good posture on each of them (exactly not what I'm doing right now while sitting :P)  and maybe add some stretches on weak points every now and then. You could also do a few reps of a move, greasing the grove style. You're freelancing, so you can do whatever you want as long as the work gets done. 

Jon Douglas

I either sit on the floor or stand when Im working at home. The worst that happens is i get restless from staying in, a daily stretch maintains my flexibility

SuperBru

Sit when you want to sit and stand when you want to stand, listen to your body.

Sam London

Thank you for the advice comrades. I will continue to keep mobile as possible and avoid staying in one position for too long.