Having recently been in Japan and experienced their cuisine for a little under 3 weeks I've been wondering about it. The stats show that the Japanese have the longest life expectancy of any people and I've seen in several places that this is attributed to their diet (although I haven't seen comparable statistics for Japanese people who eat a "westernized" diet, if somebody knows of these then that would be most helpful to rule out the possibility of this life expectancy being genetic and not due to diet)
As far as I experienced it (and this was confirmed by my friend who has lived in Japan for two years) they seem to rely on rice and miso as two staples and then have either raw foods, such as fish but occasionally chicken and beef, or deep fried foods, usually the same meats. There were hardly and vegetables, those that were there tended to be pickled, and I had almost zero fruit in my time.
Can anybody offer an explanation as to how this constitutes a good diet? My understanding so far has been that we need lots of vegetables for nutrients and antioxidants etc to maintain optimal health (possibly this isn't optimal for longevity though?) but these appear to be severely lacking.
Is anyone able to explain this apparant contradiction to me? (if indeed there is even a contradiction here or am I just missing something/actually being very ignorant as to the typical Japanese diet)
cheers