This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

F1 questions +Combining F1 and SSC =?

Started by VegVeg, August 13, 2013 · 3 Replies · 207 Views

VegVeg

Hey all so I finally am starting with F1 and indeed it looks like I've got some holes.

 

But in spite of these holes I recently achieved a full lay front lever for a few seconds, and my straddle FL is not too bad...

 

Also the F1 work looks a little low on the volume/intensity for most of the time...A major reason for me to workout is to not gain fat while eating all the fatboy stuff I love so much, wouldn't this reduction in volume/intensity gain me some fat? ;( (I hate cardio+love food, deadly combo)

 

 

I was thinking of continuing with me SSC/killroy70 style work twice a week and incorporate F1 three times.

Or perhaps doing 2 of both if I only got 4 days available that week.

 

 

Also, since F1's progression is linear, yet it can be worked 2-5 times a week, how does it work?

I mean, if someone does it 5 times a week and another does it 2 times a week, they both end up achieving the mastery level in the exercise worked?

 

 

cliffs :

combining F1 + my current SSC work = yay or nay?

What good reason is there to work F1 more than 3 times a week if the result is the same?

 

And a general question, how come some progressions in the F1 are easier than their  preceding ones? (e.g. HBP5 much harder than HBP6)

 

 

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Ravn

How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb.

No, seriously, there's a lot of these kind of questions from people who are new to F1. Just test through the exercises; if you can master a level, go on to the next one, and so forth. Pretty soon you'll be at a level that is fairly strenuous, and won't have to worry about underperforming. Besides, if you are training five times a week, you won't want to go pedal to the metal every single time, or you'll burn out in no time, I know that I would.

F1 is initially not solely about strength, but also to a great extent endurance: this does not mean that you are wasting time, merely that you are building a foundation upon which to build up your future strength(s).

The reason for doing 3, 4 or 5 workouts/week is stated quite clearly in the course material: it is to allow people with different recovery abilities to find a frequency that suits them. Obviously you are going to advance through the exercises quicker if you train more frequently, but only if you can actually recover adequately from the previous workout. This may come down to current fitness level, age, genetics, nutrition, training history, anthropometry etc.

Some of the static and eccentric-based exercises are percieved as tougher than their concentric-based counterparts. I guess the reason for structuring F1 like that is that negatives allow beginners to perform the motion even though not strong enough to perform the concentric motion, thereby building the strength necessary to begin working the next exercise in the progression. It's not a problem: Demonstrate mastery and move on, if too easy. You will definitely encounter more resistance down the road.

Edit: I actually leaned out quite a bit during the first three-four months of F1. The only extra work I did was an easy 4 km run once a week, and a bit of jumprope and sprinting once in a while.

FredInChina
VegVeg said:

(...) A major reason for me to workout is to not gain fat while eating all the fatboy stuff I love so much (...)

 

This will only work for so long, and only on the surface... The earlier you'll learn to understand your food, the better you will be :)

But you won't do it... :)

Joshua Slocum

Note that the cycles and progressions for F1 are not set in stone: there's no need to spend 12 weeks an an exercise that you've already effectively mastered. If you think an exercise is too easy for you, you should just attempt to perform the mastery workout for that exercise (week 11), and if you are able to do that with good form and tempo while only using the iM element for rest, then you should move on to the next exercise. 

 

Similarly, while you're progressing to a new exercise, there's no reason you have to start at week 1 for the cycle. You can try starting at week 5 or even week 9 if you think you're already close to mastery. 

 

If Foundation 1 feels like it's too low on volume, that most likely means you should jump forward a mini-cycle in the progressions where you feel you could handle more volume.