This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Finally started with pelvic tilt mobility. form is improving

Started by Alessandro Mainente, August 13, 2013 · 16 Replies · 628 Views

Alessandro Mainente

I've never though that pelvic tilt exercises could be so beneficial for hs. the results for now are better sensations and it's easier to maintain protraction and balance.

 

post-1151-0-58048100-1376391287_thumb.jp

 

Handstand 1 program is wonderful!

MT Nordic

nice form. I'm jealous.

P5yx

do you have pics from before you've started h1?

Alessandro Mainente

Actually not, H1 mobility has speeded up my mobility in a very short time so the form changed a lot. For now evenly i'm doing previously IM, i need ironj traps :) .

Before starting GST seriously i had a breakdance background without considering proper form. THe lower back was arched, the head wasn't in plus very low shoulders and thoracic mobility. consider that i  wasn't able to lie on the floor while maintaining my arms over my head in contact on the floor. i was able to do that only with big arc in the lower back .

Christian

Couldn't agree more Alex :D

post-1720-0-58984700-1376399581_thumb.jp

njkeane

Alex, I have difficulty engaging pelvic tile whilst inverted. I am currently on PE5 and PE5>im, would you recommend practicing the PE9>im to learn to engage pelvic tilt better or something else?

Alessandro Mainente

i admitt that my pbars handstand is always better in respect on the floor but i find easier hold it on the floor.

i'll post a pic of the pbars later this night.

Alessandro Mainente

post-1151-0-78128600-1376432342_thumb.jp

Joshua Naterman
njkeane said:

Alex, I have difficulty engaging pelvic tile whilst inverted. I am currently on PE5 and PE5>im, would you recommend practicing the PE9>im to learn to engage pelvic tilt better or something else?

Practicing your pelvic tilts while inverted, once you have mastered them on the floor both supine and prone, is good. 

 

You have to start out learning the movement in an simple environment, and become familiar with it there. Then you learn it in more and more complex positions. Supine is easiest, with bent legs, and then with straight legs. Next comes standing. Then you practice prone, with straight legs This takes more strength than standing. Then inverted in a headstand, then wall handstand, then free handstand.

 

You don't have to go in this exact order, but as a general concept it is useful. You can do many of these at the same time once you get the hang of pelvic tilt.

Alessandro Mainente
njkeane said:

Alex, I have difficulty engaging pelvic tile whilst inverted. I am currently on PE5 and PE5>im, would you recommend practicing the PE9>im to learn to engage pelvic tilt better or something else?

No, until you have master ed the section of shoulders af thoracic mobility you don't need to focus on pelvic tilt. More important is the shoulders extension.for my experience I got the necessary passive flexibility before accomplish the im8 but only after decent weight added I've felt more traps work to stabilize the shoulders and then I focused on pelvic tilt.

the fact is that to work on pelvic tilt you have to engage a little the hips flexors and the abs. But is knew that when you became shorter in the anterior chain muscles, you need strong traps to maintain the shoulders opened. For that reason you don't need only the necessary passive flexibility but a SURPLUSES of it.

Alessandro Mainente

I'm starting to feel how to activate the pelvic tilt and and squeeze the abs.

the rounding of my back is starting to come out!

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

i'm starting to feel comfortable the pelvic activation and the rounding of my back is improved.

 

post-1151-0-70597100-1377203136_thumb.pn

 

Alessandro Mainente

one more month and half of shoulders mobility and pelvic tilt mobility. i think that finally i got a decent open shoulders. it's time to protract.

 

post-1151-0-94328200-1380129012_thumb.pn

Richard Hamilton

Nice one Alex :)

njkeane

I greatly appreciate the feedback Alex & Josh. Which leads me to another questions since it was mentioned, regarding passive shoulder flexibility. Having recovered from shoulder surgery in June 2012, partially torn supraspinatus and rotator cuff, I am diligently working for the past three months on the passive shoulder flexibility which is progressing very slowly in the last few degrees. Any advise on additional supplemental exercises or stretches that I could incorporate daily in addition to my current stretch routine? 

Alessandro Mainente

i was at the beginning a fan of passive stretching as the bridge.

BUT if you want to use all the bridge power to develop shoulders flexibility you need before strong butt, strong lower back and upper thoracic mobility.

Handstand is about shoulders flexion accomplished using upper back strength that involves external rotation, traps, rear delts etc.

for that reason passive flexibility cannot be an alternative safe way to build up shoulders flexibility. one the other way use the strength is a good way to control the weight during the rom.

you can of course work on the muscles that work against shoulders flexion as latissimus dorsi, the little chest (that is involved duringthe internal L rotation), the 3rd fibers fascia of triceps that attach into scapula etc.

My actual extension is due to over weight mobility, for example i used the prone overgrip dislocation until 14.5 kg. then moved on the following. as i put on weight as the extension increases. there are no secrets.

 

for now i've reached the extension and i move into pelvic tilt variation but i have no intentions to stop the over weighted mobility, my goal is reach at least 1/3 of my bodyweight.

Riku Calderón
njkeane said:

I greatly appreciate the feedback Alex & Josh. Which leads me to another questions since it was mentioned, regarding passive shoulder flexibility. Having recovered from shoulder surgery in June 2012, partially torn supraspinatus and rotator cuff, I am diligently working for the past three months on the passive shoulder flexibility which is progressing very slowly in the last few degrees. Any advise on additional supplemental exercises or stretches that I could incorporate daily in addition to my current stretch routine?

You can stars to sublement with OptiMSM. Has worked for me always in everywhere. Just remember to pair it whit vitamin-C