This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Training During the Inseason(wrestling)

Started by Ken Swink, August 11, 2013 · 6 Replies · 228 Views

Ken Swink

Hello all,

 

This is my first post here at GymnasticBodies and must say I've been loving training F1 and H1. I'd like to say hello to all of the GB'ers out there!

 

But, more on subject, I'm going to be wrestling(high school) this coming season. The season starts in October with conditioning - sprinting about 2-3 times a week with some distance work, no weights workouts. After about 2-3 months of that we train 5 days a week for about 2 hours, 30 minutes of that being conditioning(but somehow our coaches found a way to turn every drill into conditioning  ;)) The point is it's pretty intense all season. 

 

Since I'm training F1 +H1 I'm not really sure what I should be doing with volume/intensity or even just maintaining strength throughout the season then resuming F1/H1 work.

 

Any advice would be appreciated!

 

Ken Swink

Joshua Slocum

Keep doing F1/H1. Gymnasts practice and do strength training simultaneously: there's no reason wrestlers can't too. 

 

If you find yourself getting too worn out, decrease your overall F1/H1 volume. 

Joshua Naterman

And don't forget to eat a ton of food, you're going to be burning lots and lots of energy with wrestling practice.

Bipocni

What Joshua said.  I see absolutely NO reason why you would want to stop strength training for several months.  How could that possibly prepare you to pick people up and throw them around?

Aadil Siddiqi

I play football (soccer) in an academy thrice a week during the school year. On my 4 off days, I do Foundation, and then practice football afterwards. I do weighted leg work and joint preparation exercises. I'm also a competitive runner.

I guess I'm around your age too; I'm 14. Hope this helps :)

chobbs

I lifted all throughout HS wrestling seasons and had zero issues - I can imagine F1 would be the same. Ideally get your F1 done in the morning (well away from practice) and as mentioned be sure to get your calories in. This can be hard with the weight class paranoia that accompany's each season ... I was lucky in that I had the strength to always get to wrestle up a class or two to fill in our holes and so I never had to cut weight. I know they are a bit more strict now about the kids losing weight, but I also know coaches and many will put pressure on you to stay in a given class despite your body needing to grow. If you are getting flu like symptoms you can be almost certain you aren't getting enough food.

 

One other thing that might help ... if your HS offers a PE program with an instructor lets you do what you want get that class scheduled for the morning and use that time to do your workouts - that was my approach and it worked *very* well. Occasionally I would have to participate in some silly test or group activity, but for the most part I was left to do what I wanted to do.

 

- Chris

Aadil Siddiqi

My school football team used to let me do my own stretches :P Eventually they had the team do what I did.