press handstand

Started by jandzel, August 9, 2013 · 3 Replies · 2,255 Views

jandzel

Hello guys,

 

I have been training very hard lately, and after many many many kick up attempts at a free handstand, I finally am at the point where I can consistantly kick up in a very straight handstand and balance for close to a minute or more on a max attempt. It feels great to have all that hard work pay off! I don't think I have missed a day over the past few months. I started from nothing and built up to a solid handstand, which feels great!

 

Any way, my main concern for this post is my next big goal is to be able to do a pike press handstand. I am willing to train very hard to do this.

 

I would love any input on a good way to set up a training routine to accomplish a pike press handstand? I am willing to put my other skills on the back burner for now and just prioritize the pike press handstand. Should I train pike press handstands every day? Are there progressions I should go through? Should I continue to kick up and practice regular handstands? How would I set up a pike press handstand practice session?

 

Hand balancing really really intruiges me. After I lean the pike press handstand I plan on training toward a one-arm handstand!

 

Thanks so much guys, look forward for hearing some input! -Justin

Bipocni

How is your pike at the moment?

Daniel Burnham

You should learn straddle press first. This will give you a feel for pressing. I have previously written stages of progression do that skill. Then once you have that you can start working pike.

Rob Pretorius
Daniel Burnham said:

You should learn straddle press first. This will give you a feel for pressing. I have previously written stages of progression do that skill. Then once you have that you can start working pike.

If you don't mind, could you please provide the location of that write up?