bed..

Started by strme, August 9, 2013 · 14 Replies · 5,402 Views

strme

hei guys,

 

i think bed is one of the most important equipment in training..  what do you think?  :)

 

i start thinking about it.. because my pain in lower back get really really hard..  never had this problem before.. its start after i had some extra free days in my super training with F and H..  i was switching almost to F2..  doing everything perfectly..believe me..    problem is the BED.   i can tell you..my 3 weeks in pain was my biggest nightmare ever..  no training no fun.  

 

what is your recommendations for bed?   soft ,hard or super hard?  what is this you sleeping on? 

 

i know i know..there is lot of resurces up there..but just asking here.

TANSTAAFL

We just recently got an organic Shikibuton mattress from soaringheart.com. Not cheap, but that and a buckwheat pillow on tatami mats is freaking awesome. It's pretty hard, but I dig. I've heard most(Robb Wolf most recently)suggest to get what you are comfortable with. The most important thing is the rest. If you don't feel refreshed when you wake up, it could have something to do with that...hard is usually better, but for some, not. It could also be completely unrelated as well :).

More than you wanted about sleep and beds:

http://www.zafu.net/sleepergonomics.html

http://www.sciencenews.org/sn_arc99/9_25_99/bob2.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1119282/

http://greenimalist.com/2011/01/i-sleep-on-the-floor-now/

http://www.myhealthiestlife.com/2009/04/is-your-mattress-toxic/

http://www.mommypotamus.com/how-to-buy-a-non-toxic-mattress/

3bears

Sleeping on the floor is the best...I hate mattresses. I know people from many countries refuse to sleep on mattress as they believe this causes back pain, and there might be truth to it...

Mattresses and beds are ways to drain people's money and get them addicted to false "comforts". (the only use for beds is to escape spiders)

FredInChina
3bears said:

Sleeping on the floor is the best...

Hardcore eh?

Is that why you don't seem to be able to sleep more than 6 hours? :P

B1214N

I sleep on a pretty hard mattress, but it still has some padding so there is still some softness to it not unlike a mat used it gymnastics or yoga. I can't say if it really helps your back, but I've been told it is supposed to be good for your back. Another benefit of having one of the harder mattresses is being able to do exercises like planche, push-ups, HBP, and manna where you have a high chance of falling or face planting, but the mattress acts like a mat to soften up your falls. I sometimes do HBP or planche push-ups just right after waking up lol.

Bipocni
TANSTAAFL said:

We just recently got an organic Shikibuton mattress from soaringheart.com. Not cheap, but that and a buckwheat pillow on tatami mats is freaking awesome. It's pretty hard, but I dig. I've heard most(Robb Wolf most recently)suggest to get what you are comfortable with. The most important thing is the rest. If you don't feel refreshed when you wake up, it could have something to do with that...hard is usually better, but for some, not. It could also be completely unrelated as well :).

More than you wanted about sleep and beds:

http://www.zafu.net/sleepergonomics.html

http://www.sciencenews.org/sn_arc99/9_25_99/bob2.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1119282/

http://greenimalist.com/2011/01/i-sleep-on-the-floor-now/

http://www.myhealthiestlife.com/2009/04/is-your-mattress-toxic/

http://www.mommypotamus.com/how-to-buy-a-non-toxic-mattress/

Oh great, mattresses are toxic now.  God dammit, is there anything left that doesn't kill you!?

Bipocni
B1214N said:

I sleep on a pretty hard mattress, but it still has some padding so there is still some softness to it not unlike a mat used it gymnastics or yoga. I can't say if it really helps your back, but I've been told it is supposed to be good for your back. Another benefit of having one of the harder mattresses is being able to do exercises like planche, push-ups, HBP, and manna where you have a high chance of falling or face planting, but the mattress acts like a mat to soften up your falls. I sometimes do HBP or planche push-ups just right after waking up lol.

You what?  Like, as soon as you wake up?

Bipocni
Domz said:

I think sleeping position may be an important consideration in addition to mattress quality.

Mmm, I sleep on my stomach, which I've heard is bad.  Apparently you're supposed to sleep on your back, but I don't know how...

TANSTAAFL
Bipocni said:

Oh great, mattresses are toxic now.  God dammit, is there anything left that doesn't kill you!?

Grass fed beef liver? :)

Jon Douglas

Mm, I slept on the floor a lot living in Japan, but tatami gathers dust like anything... didn't always have time to vacuum daily.

B1214N
Bipocni said:

You what?  Like, as soon as you wake up?

Yes, sometimes. 

Joshua Slocum

Sleep on whatever kind of surface gives you the best sleep. If you can sleep comfortably for the amount of time you want to sleep, don't change anything. If you feel your sleeping surface is making it hard to sleep, then try something new. 

 

Personally I sleep on a 4-inch heavyweight memory foam topper on a futon mattress. I find that the memory foam is nice because it prevents any one point from taking too much pressure. When sleeping on the floor I find something always ends up being sore or tender in the morning. 

Bipocni
TANSTAAFL said:

Grass fed beef liver? :)

Vitamin A overdose...

Bissen

Tanstaafel beat me to it.

 

I've owned a Japanese futon for some years now; about 5, I think. I've also slept on them in Japan for approximately 8 months in total. I love them. (I even have a single tatami to place it on).

 

I've come to really dislike springy beds, and I often wake up sore after sleeping on them.

 

Traditional, 100% cotton, Japanese futon.

Rob SFO

Sleep is the most important...the surface doesn't matter. I'll sleep anywhere and everywhere. I fell asleep sitting on a chain link fence once. It takes some serious practice, but just start at PE1 and don't ignore the integrated mobility work. You must master both.