Pulled Hamstring; Long lasting pain

Started by aerialist, August 9, 2013 · 5 Replies · 2,990 Views

aerialist

About a year ago I pulled my hamstring from jumping into a deep split without stretching (yeah, I know, lesson learned.)  Took it easy a few months, slowly started stretching, pain has gone down but not completely gone.  It throbs on and off; sometimes I can go into side splits to the floor without any issues, other days I'm 6" off the floor and can't bare to go any deeper.  

 

Are there any stretches or massages that will help alleviate this pain, or is this an issue that doesn't go away?   I've tried various stretches, rubs, soaks, etc.  Nothing has done the trick.

FredInChina

Welcome to the forum aerialist

If it is healed, there is probably a lot of scar tissue that you will want to break down.

Take it slow and easy, hammies are notorious for re-injury.

 

You can try that, it worked wonders breaking down and getting rid of scar tissue from a 3 years old Achilles tear. :)

 

 

 

Good luck

MrPuppeh
FredInChina said:

Welcome to the forum aerialist

If it is healed, there is probably a lot of scar tissue that you will want to break down.

Take it slow and easy, hammies are notorious for re-injury.

 

You can try that, it worked wonders breaking down and getting rid of scar tissue from a 3 years old Achilles tear. :)

 

 

 

Good luck

Fred, you tore your Achilles tendon ?  :blink:  How ?

FredInChina
MrPuppeh said:

Fred, you tore your Achilles tendon ?  :blink:  How ?

 

Old story...

May 2009, my left Achilles snapped during the warm up of the first class after I joined a kyokushin dojo.

aerialist

Thanks a lot, I just starting doing the roll stretch.  I varied it by doing it in pigeon/swan pose so I can really get into the sides of my bad hamstring.  It's an intense feeling.  I followed it by a light hamstring stretch and a very deep self massage.  I'll post back in a couple weeks with my progress.

aerialist

This may be a premature observation or a coincidence, but so far I've noticed a lot of improvement in my hamstring flexibility and decreased pain.  I've been doing it 1-3x/wk for 10 min and my splits are back to normal without any pain, almost better than my good side.  Much appreciation Fred.