Cyr Wheel

Started by Daniel Burnham, August 7, 2013 · 6 Replies · 4,719 Views

Daniel Burnham

Ive seen a few of these things on youtube.  Anyone have any experience with using them?  It seems they are available from a few people in California including Sam Tribble's Spinnovation.

gohei_

Holy moly those things are awesome

 

Jon Douglas

I guess it's a cheap German wheel... seems like you'd have to be very careful of your hands...

 

Edit;

A lot of what they're doing looks more like aerial hoop than German wheel, for obvious reasons I guess. Looks like fun :)

swhitley

I've been lucky enough to play with one, but as with most gymnasticy things, I couldn't really get the hang of it in the short time I had with it. Managed to get a couple of spins on the spot and that was it, but it was so much fun, and I'm now trying to justify £400 to buy one myself. As with anything like this, having a coach will help, but I'm sure with practice you can pick up the basics yourself until you find someone who can guide you better.

 

I noticed my shoulder flexibility would be a limiting factor personally. It was like being in a constant spinning version of Coach's wall extension

 

Fedec has a guide (http://www.fedec.eu/datas/files/ressources/fedec_cyrwheel_en_version_2013.pdf) and there is a series of videos on youtube by a now professional Cyr wheel artist showing his first week learning which may be useful to judge the learning curve

FredInChina

wow, this looks like a great way to crush fingers and toes in record time :wacko:

Ravn

I'd love to try one these things, but they are damn expensive...  :(

swhitley

You could probably build one for half the price, or get it built for you for a little bit more cost if you wander around local builders merchants. I have seen guides online about building one yourself, and that Fedec guide I linked describes what theirs are made out of (page 10). 

When I was living abroad the gymnastic coach realised I loved handstands and was stronger (and slightly more skilled) than the rest of the adult gymnastics class so I got invited to train with the circus group. I didn't receive much coaching from them as they were busy working on their own projects, but I was free to play with all their equipment, such as the cyr wheel, chinese pole, handstand canes, teeterboard, and a full gymnastics hall 5 days a week. Unfortunately, even with such good gym access and facilities, not much coaching meant in 4 months my skill set on any apparatus did not improve as much as it should have. I respect the value of good hands on coaching even more now