Morning All,
As a follow-up post to: Doorway Handstand (part 1)
I was warming up at my gym toward the end of last week, and a fella who recognised some of the movements struck up a conversation. He's an ex-international trampolinist and was a head coach at Heathrow Gymnastics a while back. Nice guy, and very helpful. Obviously I took the chance to ask his advice on a number of things.
I was quite surprised when he mentioned (totally unsolicited) that one of the ways he'd had success teaching adults a solid handstand ...was in a doorway!? The main difference to my own (retrospectively unoriginal) idea was that he preferred to have the legs scissored - one to the front and one to the rear of the door frame, with only an inch or two of space each way. The legs would be alternated, either during a set, or between sets.
When I tried it over the weekend I found it still easy enough to keep the glutes squeezed and knees locked, and keep what felt like a solid body position all the way to my toes. Although I could feel exactly when I was falling forward and backward, I never really got to a point I couldn't come back from using only my wrist/finger strength. The advantage to my mind is that I got to experience going past, and back from, the points of no return multiple times without break in form.
I only had time to try this a few times over the weekend, but was surprised by the long (for me) holds I was able to achieve after a few corrections. It was almost like my fingers/wrists were feeling "too much pressure that time ...oops, not quite enough ...little bit too much ...just right". A little like Goldilocks and the porridge. I imagine this is one of the advantages of being handspotted in HS?
NB: I see this as mainly a good tool for helping with the skill side of learning a basic handstand (proprioception, awareness, exposure, etc) without proper hands-on coaching. It is not a replacement for putting in the requisite time/effort doing the strengthening, conditioning and positional drills recommended elsewhere in this section. Also, as was covered before, you will need to be able to step/roll/cartwheel out of an overbalanced handstand if you are to practice away from the wall safely.
Cheers,
George.