This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Mobility Progression

Started by tony1kenobi, August 4, 2013 · 19 Replies · 527 Views

tony1kenobi

Hi,

 

I have read the manual multiple times but still have a question on progression - If I master a main exercise but not the associated mobility exercise do I :

 

(i) move on to the next main and next mobility exercise

 

(ii) move on to the next main but stay on the same mobility exercise

 

(iii) stay with the same two exercises (main and mobility) until I master both

 

Thanks

Tony

Christian

You must master both the main and mobility to move on. So your (iii) option.

TANSTAAFL

There's much explanation to this specific question and many others in this forum. Pretend it's a game and start your search :).

P5yx
Christian said:

You must master both the main and mobility to move on. So your (iii) option.

^ this

Coach Sommer

F1 explicitely states that both the progression AND it's iM must be mastered in order to move on.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

tony1kenobi

thanks for the quick responses

 

that's clear.

 

cheers

Tony

jwalker497

I mine as well stop doing F1 becuase there are mobility movements that I will never master

Mats Trane
jwalker497 said:

I mine as well stop doing F1 becuase there are mobility movements that I will never master

Which ones are you having difficulty with?

Mats Trane
post-90-0-39992100-1375978589_thumb.jpg
jwalker497

No I say that with sincerity.  I am not a naturally flexible person, I have never touched my toes.  As stated this as my concern before starting F1, it could take years to master these movements and some I truly believe I never will.  It stinks because I just have to move on the strength elements are too easy and the mobility are too hard.  

Keilani Gutierrez
jwalker497 said:

I mine as well stop doing F1 becuase there are mobility movements that I will never master

I've been more or less spinning my wheels on a few mobility exercises as well and they've begun to come to fruition due to focus and also investigating why body isnt allowing me to move. you'll be surprised by what you learn :)
tony1kenobi

Yes, I agree, I find some of the mobility very challenging but thinking about it and looking for ways to gradually increase it does help!

 

For example on the swivel hips I notice that moving one leg before the other gives better flow and range of movement.

 

I used to walk like a robot many years ago and after much exploration I took a few Feldenkrais lessons. They woke me up to the fact that there are many ways to do or learn any one thing :-) in terms of movement . My flexibility in some areas is still poor but my movement in general is quiet pretty good :-) 

 

On progression I have another question if that's ok: if I am stuck on one set of exercises, say Mana, is it ok to continue to progress with the others even if the Mana set lags way behind ?

 

cheers

Tony

Christian

You can progress on the different elements independently of each other. Like manna is on F1, your RC F2 and side lever F4. Hypothetically.

jwalker497

My goals for getting into this was strength not mobility.  I understand the relationship between the two is important but the end goal is looking good naked, i just prefer to use BW/GST to get there.  With that said, if the Mobility begins to hamper or prevent that goal I have to reconsider what I am doing.  For example doing Scap shrugs is really easy and not helping me get stronger anymore but swivel hips may never be mastered acc to the standards listed.  I decided to just move on accepting its not mastery and continue to move through the course, I can always come back and repeat as necessary.  This is my dilemma with the porgram. 

gohei_
jwalker497 said:

My goals for getting into this was strength not mobility.  I understand the relationship between the two is important but the end goal is looking good naked, i just prefer to use BW/GST to get there.  With that said, if the Mobility begins to hamper or prevent that goal I have to reconsider what I am doing.  For example doing Scap shrugs is really easy and not helping me get stronger anymore but swivel hips may never be mastered acc to the standards listed.  I decided to just move on accepting its not mastery and continue to move through the course, I can always come back and repeat as necessary.  This is my dilemma with the porgram. 

Well it's your body and you can do what you want. No one is gonna force you to stay with swivel hips for all eternity  :P

You could probably get really strong even if you for some reason skip a mobility element here and there.

Keilani Gutierrez
gohei_ said:

You could probably get really strong even if you for some reason skip a mobility element here and there.

you'd more than likely end up going back to where you needed to start in the first place. 

FredInChina
jwalker497 said:

(...) This is my dilemma with the porgram. 

 

LOL :D

Wouldn't life be boring if everything flowed seamlessly without problems, viscosity and dilemma? :)

 

Don't worry, help is on the way: as you get old and your butt starts to sag, it reaches for the ground & swivel hips become easier  B-)  :blink:

palmcron

You could also just keep training the skipped mobility-element additionally.

Keegan Y

The problem with that mindset is that your inability to perform swivel hips with adequate ROM means that you lack adequate hip external and internal rotation strength. Realize that while mobility is partially about the extensibility of tissues/flexibility in the antagonists, there is also the need for strength in the agonists.

So, in reality you are simply wanting to continue building strength where you are already strong and just leave the weak parts of your body weak. That is going to likely result in injury, postural or movement pattern compensations, or chronic pain somewhere down the road.

But like others said, it's your body and no one can force you to keep it functioning is a healthy balanced fashion. You also paid for the course, but have every right not to follow it (even though IMO it's an outstanding program) correctly. But in doing you are also taking responsibility for any injuries, lack of progress or plateaus that you might encounter as a result.

tony1kenobi
Christian said:

You can progress on the different elements independently of each other. Like manna is on F1, your RC F2 and side lever F4. Hypothetically.

thanks will progress :-)