Are strong glutes a factor in a back bridge?

Started by EGordoAF, August 3, 2013 · 13 Replies · 4,405 Views

EGordoAF

Hello everyone. I've been doing glute exercises to wake up my dormant glutes. Unfortunately, when I was young I did leg extensions thinking they would make me faster. I found out the hard way that it is not a functional exercise. Now my glutes don't fire properly due to that and sitting for long periods of time. I was wondering, if I strengthen my glutes, will that affect my back bridge. Please don't take off my head, I'm new.

Thanks.

Christian

I've found that being better at contracting my glutes to push my hips forward, my bridging is going better. And arch holds.

Haplix

I thought that the back bridge was basically a stretch for your posterior chain. Training your glutes will improve your back bridge. If your glutes are your weakness, try glute bridges. If you can hold these, then do 1-legged glute bridges. That'll help a bit. They're also good for your lower back, I believe. 

Keilani Gutierrez

I second this motion.

Blairbob

 Certain communities like to maintain that bridging makes for a strong lower back. They usually feel this way because their shoulder flexibility is lacking and thus they feel load in their lower back. Sometimes you'll see stuff like weight on their stomachs in this position, people sitting, etc.

 

 Want to work your glutes? Squat, lunges. Sit down on toilet/couch, stand up. Feel your butt while you are doing so if you aren't sure.

 

 Glute bridges are ok, 1 leg glute bridge. 

 

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/dispelling_the_glute_myth

 

I'm not big on a lot of these stuff but that's because I've squatted for a long time with a barbell and longer without. There is still something about a lot of these exercises though I gave up on barbell hip thrusts until I found a way to not crush my privates and forgot about them to focus on RDL's/GoodMornings and squats instead.


 

 

 

EGordoAF

Guys, thanks for the replies. I figured the glutes play a role in the back bridge. Blairbob, I've done squats and RDLS in the past. The problem with squats is that my quads are worked way more than my glutes. I do feel work on my glutes doing RDLs but I also feel my hamstrings work big time. I just want to limit it to my glutes. I'll try the glute bridges and the link you sent. Thanks guys.

Joshua Naterman
Haplix said:

I thought that the back bridge was basically a stretch for your posterior chain. Training your glutes will improve your back bridge. If your glutes are your weakness, try glute bridges. If you can hold these, then do 1-legged glute bridges. That'll help a bit. They're also good for your lower back, I believe. 

I think you mean a stretch for your anterior chain.

 

Your posterior chain muscles nearly all get SHORTER during a back bridge, which is the opposite of what would happen during a stretch. Just a friendly FYI ;)

Sailor Venus

I tried bridges to stretch my shoulders. For some reason my shoulders won't stretch, instead my lower back takes the stretch and I can't rectify it. Any ideas?

gohei_
Sailor Venus said:

I tried bridges to stretch my shoulders. For some reason my shoulders won't stretch, instead my lower back takes the stretch and I can't rectify it. Any ideas?

Tried elevating your feet? I can more easily push against my arms and stretch the shoulders that way.

Joshua Naterman
gohei_ said:

Tried elevating your feet? I can more easily push against my arms and stretch the shoulders that way.

I am finding that a passive-ish stretch like that tends to lead to shoulder impingement more often than not, UNLESS you are capable of actively using your serratus anterior and trapezius muscles to continue upwardly rotating the scapula.

 

Remember that flexibility is a skill, and if you can't activate (use) the muscles that actively move your bones into a position, you're going to have a much harder time getting into that position.

 

That applies for bridge as well as everything else. Use Kit Laughlin's materials to accelerate your acquisition of mobility skills.

Keilani Gutierrez
Sailor Venus said:

I tried bridges to stretch my shoulders. For some reason my shoulders won't stretch, instead my lower back takes the stretch and I can't rectify it. Any ideas?

I've been getting more acquainted with bridging lately and i find that for my tight hip flexors, doing PPT as hard as I possibly can and making my wrists go as under me as possible to give me the greatest repief on my back and make it a more even arch instead of a nike swoosh
gohei_
Joshua Naterman said:

I am finding that a passive-ish stretch like that tends to lead to shoulder impingement more often than not, UNLESS you are capable of actively using your serratus anterior and trapezius muscles to continue upwardly rotating the scapula.

Remember that flexibility is a skill, and if you can't activate (use) the muscles that actively move your bones into a position, you're going to have a much harder time getting into that position.

That applies for bridge as well as everything else. Use Kit Laughlin's materials to accelerate your acquisition of mobility skills.

Okey, I don't know how to do what you described so I guess it's good I stopped doing those once F1 came out.

dmcmanam

Lets not over complicate a simple answer: No.  

 

Stretch your wrists, stretch your chest and shoulders, warm up your back, stretch your quads and hip flexors.  Then you are ready to begin bridge work.  If you can straighten your legs and arms and keep your shoulders above your wrists you are doing pretty good and will be able to start working on fun transitions.  To over complicate a simple answer, you would contract your glutes to press into a reverse planche from bridge but you would have a coach if you were working on moves like that.

Bipocni

Actually, there is a small amount of glute / hamstring strength involved, especially if you are bridging with your feet/knees together.  Personally I'm finding arch body holds to be quite helpful with improving my bridge in the lower half of my body.