This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 090209

Started by Coach Sommer, February 9, 2009 · 5 Replies · 1,722 Views

Coach Sommer

WOD%20-%20090209.jpg

Perform 3 giant sets of each of the following:

embedded BL (1-2 reps) + OAC assisted (3-5 reps)

embedded PL (1-2 reps) + Strap HSPU on the XR (3-5 reps)

embedded FL (1-2 reps) + Body Lever (3-5 reps)

Finish with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

notes:

1) Warmup by performing an easier bodyweight pyramid prior to beginning your working sets. The variations used should initially begin with one that is quite easy and then get progressively more difficult from warmup set to warmup set.

2) Rest 10-20 seconds between the embedded static and the subsequent exercise. For the OAC perform one embedded BL rep and then a right arm OAC. Repeat on the left side. This will constitute one set.

3) Rest 1-2 minutes in between giant sets.

4) If any of the movements are too difficult or easy for the prescribed repetition range, scale them accordingly with another movement from the same family.

5) Choose an embedded static strength variation that allows you to hold for 5-10 seconds per rep.

gymrob

This was a good workout :D .

I was really surprised to find that I could do top static holds and slow controlled negatives for one arm chins no assistance and I have never trained this movement and have actually been quite lazy regarding training for a long time: not training in an organised fashion or even remotely regularly enough. I also tried a rope cirque and found I could do slow one arm chin negatives on the rope aswell without assistance. I didn't try concentric one arm chins but I will try next time. But I was thinking just because I have to movement doesn't mean my joints can handle a certain volume etc and so I might start a steady state cycle. I think my joints will thank me.

As a general question coach related to this, do you make your athletes stick to their certain rest periods throughout a steady state cycle (treating it as a loading parameter i suppose) or do you allow them to always rest as necessary as they feel every workout they do?

Thanks.

Jason Stein

3x:

embedded tuck PL (2 reps) + 5 Strap HSPU on the XR

embedded straddle BL (2 reps) + 5 OAC assisted; one fist-length down on rope over bar

embedded straddle FL (2 reps) + 5 Body Levers; slight pike up, straight negative

side/front split work

3 bridges; stand up on final bridge

6 drop-backs from standing to bridge

---Depth on XR HSPU was comical --- using the XR definitely IMMEDIATELY highlights any deficiencies in the core.

---For one-armed chins, I locked off the top position on the final rep and held for 10 breaths, then tried as slow a negative as possible

---I'll have to video the Body Levers, 'cause I have a feeling there's something about this I'm missing.

As a side note, I took the weekend totally off anything, and today noticed massive improvement on MU --- I figured out how to lower into the false grip in order to link them together, and the forward roll seems to have stuck, as well! I put together a chain of 3 strict muscle-ups followed by a forward roll. Felt strong.

I will say that using tape around the wrists made a HUGE difference! Partly because I am no longer shredding the skin off my forearms, but also because it creates a target position for the wrists when moving.

This one was pretty fun, too ... pretty psyched to see what's coming up tomorrow.

jason

Nobodystopsdblob

This is the first day back after a week and a half off due to being sick. I would like to blame the poor quality of the handstand pushups on that, but I cannot. I just suck at them

Perform 3 giant sets of each of the following:

embedded BL (1-2 reps) Flat back tuck 6 count + OAC assisted (3-5 reps) 3 reps

embedded PL (1-2 reps) advance frog 10 count + Strap HSPU on the XR (3-5 reps) barely 3 each time, awful.

embedded FL (1-2 reps) Flat back 6 count+ Body Levers (3-5 reps) 5 reps everything but legs on bench at start of each rep.

Finish with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

Back squat 275 x 3.

Laney

Yesterday I spent the entire day moving to a new apartment, it was a long day and my body it still a little fatigued today. Here's the modified workout I did:

Back Tuck Lever (8,6/6/6 seconds) + OAC on assisted PU machine -70# (3/3/3 each)

Frog Stand (15,15/20/16 seconds) + HSPU against wall (5/4/4)

Front Tuck Lever (8,6/6/6 seconds) + Body Levers, 1/3 of the way down (3/3/3)

*not enough time to do bridge wall walks.. will do them tomorrow.

Levers are very hard for me, so I keep it tucked for as long as I can trying to get my back parallel to the ground, are there other progressions I should be doing? Did my OAC on one of those assisted pull-up machines and it seemed to be a good starting place for me, I haven't ever tried to do an OAC. My HSPU against the wall are pretty strong, head all the way to the floor. For the body levers I started all the way up in a candle-stick position and kept my body straight for as low as I could, about 1/3 of the way down. Any other progression for this one?

Blairbob

I used 5 min rest periods and the optional girls enjoyed my face on the ring HS. They said they need to come up with some indian name for red face or some other jibberish I barely understood. I warmed up after coaching team doing some wall HS, wall presses, tuck up to HS presses, mat presses, HS walking and some swings on SR, HB, and PB to HS besides some tumbling on trak that my wrists didn't like.

I used the straight body invert to german hang for back lever and did a negative pullup on the high bar leaning on one arm 5s each. On reflection, I could have done a one arm body row or could have done a one arm pullup maybe if I propped my feet up in L on a block.

Wasn't able to do tuck planche so did straight arm frogstand for 5s each. I did 20s of ring handstand feet on inside of straps instead of HSPU because either I can do a few partial ROM HSPU or 1-2 full deep ROM HSPU. I was trying for 27s of ring HS on inside of straps but 20 was all I could do. I thought about doing some other HSPU progression but figured it would be good to do it on rings as I also worked wall HeS>HSPU last night. I did do parallette piked body on block HSPU for my L4 today and he said he'd never done anything as intense as I was also spotting to keep his body in the right positions. Pretty cool that he does it right while the optional girls flare out their elbows and do it crappy.

I used single leg front lever negatives and did body lever negatives. I guess I could have just done a body lever lift and lever but :? oh well.

As for the bridge wall walks I just did these slow without the wall on ground and added some wall slides.

Laney, what you did was fine. You could try to do a body lever lift in straddle or tuck, one leg(?) and then lower using one of these positions to horizontal.