This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Stuck On RC6 For Many Many Months!

Started by E70, August 2, 2013 · 5 Replies · 347 Views

E70

Hi everyone,

I've looked around the forums and found a few good tips on RC6 mastery. However I've been stuck on this drill for over the past 4 months. I have cycled weeks 9 to 12 and I am not seeing any improvements in over the past couple of months now. I'm in no rush and I can just wait it out till I just get it, but I was wondering If an any of you guys can share your strategy or tips on how to get past those 5 sets?  

 

Thanks!

Ravn

In my eyes, RC6 is the most difficult exercise to master in F1; I also spent four-five months nailing it.

 

I gradually increased volume until I was able to do:

70 secs in 1st set

65 in 2nd set

60 in 3rd

55 in 4th

50 in 5th

 

My theory was that when testing, these number would be equal to 5x60. Well, I was almost right, but still ten seconds short. 

 

After that, progress kind of stalled out for me. I then did 5 sets of 60, but with 2-4 minutes of rest between sets, and tried to reduce rest accordingly. I also trained RC6 as the last exercise in the workouts, but would always test it as the first thing in the workout. That consistently gave me 10-12 seconds extra total hang time.

 

Mastering this one is pretty damn tough, and definitely the least pleasant test so far. However, it will stay in my warmup from now on.

 

Keep it up!

Alessandro Mainente

in that cases the best approach from my experience is use the time of the last set and use it for your strength training.

this is valid also for a test, if i try the mastery only with IM in between sets (with short rest) i use the last set to choose the week that i'll use to start. Probably after the mastery with the "test" template, you need to cut the cycle in mini cycle, so for example the gab between the weeks of the 60 sec template is 12 seconds. work increasing only by 6 seconds, or 4 seconds (is more gradual) for a week.

until now used it and i'm currently using it to re master some elements..for ABR i'm adding 6 reps, for HBR i add 6 reps, for PL i add 3 secs..

it depends from your level. at certain levers the size of your legs play a big role. so as the weight from the center of gravity as probably you need more time to fill the gap between the weeks. nothing bad if you adjust the reps or sec.

lnick1975

Maybe you should try focusing work on mini cycles of earlier progressions to help strenghten something you might be lacking strength in.

Did that make sense...?

Take some steps back, it can only help.

Jon Douglas
lnick1975 said:

Maybe you should try focusing work on mini cycles of earlier progressions to help strenghten something you might be lacking strength in.

Did that make sense...?

Take some steps back, it can only help.

If you're feeling a little stagnant, rather than stepping back per se, I would more advise adding a bit more volume in previous progressions (particularly Bulgarian rows). Once you flick your mental switch to tough it out (sorry, that's what this one comes down to once you have the strength) you will have overprepared for upcoming elements :)

Or, yknow, add a couple sets of pullups after training.

Either way, there's no way around gritting your teeth through the pump until you hit it a few times and you adapt.

E70

Thanks guys! This is a tough one. I'll try out all of these ideas and see what sticks. Although this progression can be frustrating, it's good to be challenged like this.