This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Getting Started F1 - Determining your Level

Started by Sam London, July 31, 2013 · 4 Replies · 133 Views

Sam London

Hi. I have previously been using the original BtGB book along with the great information on these forums for the last year or so. I have made good progress considering I had some freak non-sport related accidents/injuries along the way. I have now purchased the F1 course and have a question about choosing the starting level.

 

Q1:

Under the "Getting Started" section it asks us to use the week 12 program to test our mastery of a particular level. However week 12 is the de-load week and is not the full volume. Is this correct? Or have I completely miss-understood this?

 

Q2:

Also, I understand that, for example, even if I could do full SLS easily for 5x10 but cannot do say the iM from the second level then I must start at the second level? (this is just an example and not true - I guess in most cases this would not happen in reality)

 

Q3:

I also go MTBing and running 3-5 times a week (1-2 times are hard rides/runs). I assume that I can continue as normal or will this greatly impact my F1 progress? (I guess I will just have to test this out myself)

 

Your help is much appreciated.

Hercules

Welcome to the forum. Purchasing the foundation series is a good choice!

 

1) Yes, you are correct, it's a typo. You're meant to test the week 11 to get mastery, rather than week 12.

2) We start wherever we have weakness. You always have to master the iM AND exercise itself to progress.

3) What F1 schedule are you using? Pick one that lets you progress maximally while having enough energy. But again, this will take time to find out, so experiment! Like you said, find out what works best you for.

Flameous

Hercules nailed it.

 

I just want to emphazise that for number 2) it actually happens quite often :D

Joshua Slocum
Hercules said:

Welcome to the forum. Purchasing the foundation series is a good choice!

 

1) Yes, you are correct, it's a typo. You're meant to test the week 11 to get mastery, rather than week 12.

2) We start wherever we have weakness. You always have to master the iM AND exercise itself to progress.

3) What F1 schedule are you using? Pick one that lets you progress maximally while having enough energy. But again, this will take time to find out, so experiment! Like you said, find out what works best you for.

Point 2 bears re-emphasizing. The purpose of following the program is not to start on the hardest exercise you can do. The purpose is to identify your weaknesses and train them until they become strengths. Skipping an exercise that you haven't mastered is just cheating yourself out of potential gains.

Sam London

Thank you for the feedback. I understand very clearly - especially Q2 :-).

 

>>What F1 schedule are you using?

I will start on the 4 day plan as that appears similar volume to the previous plan I was following based on the BtGB book and forum advice. I will see how that goes and judge recovery from there.