This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Foundation before or after "skill training"

Started by Badi, July 30, 2013 · 4 Replies · 288 Views

Badi

Hello.

I have a little question regarding the combination of strength work (F1&H1) and skill work (either gymnastic tumbling, Breakdancing or tricking).

At the moment I am at a gym 2-3 times a week for dancing and tricking (2-3h). Due to high workload in university and job I am pretty stressed out and not 100% motivated. I usually did 2-3 times dancing or tricking and F1&H1 work inbetween these days.

My motivation especially for doing the foundation work and my "free days" is almost 0.

 

Now I thought of just putting both together and doing like 1.5h skillwork and 0.5h foundation + stretching. I know I wouldnt fit everything in but its only a couple of weeks or month left. I could do 1h workout before my dancing/tricking starts but I dont know if Im gonna have the energy for the rest of the session.

 

Do you have any experience with either of the options?

What should I focus on if doing the "short" workout route?

 

Thanks in advance

 

Badi

 

tl;dr:

I only have time/motivation to do my f1/h1 training on the days where im dancing/tricking (2-3 times a week 2-3h) Do you have any experience with this?

1. Foundation work before tricking

2. Foundation work after tricking (would be shorter due to time issues)

 

P5yx

my suggestion would be AFTER. you need fresh muscles to save the movements CORRECTLY in your muscle memory.

the movements of f1 are far less complex in comparison.

Daniel Burnham

What I have found tends to work best for me is statics before and the rest afterwards. Find what allows you do not be too fatigued and get the best work out of both parts.

Coach Sommer

Given your current situation, my recommendation is to do your Foundation work first. This will force you to take care of your business and "earn" the right to progress on to that day's skill work.

If you find that you are too tired after Foundation to do your skill work; get stronger. :)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Aadil Siddiqi

I had a high workload during the school year; football with my club and my school, playing wih my brother and my dog, working out and studying an exceptionally large school course (well, maybe not compared to some of you guys in college :P ) I was most definitely overtraining, and I felt as demotivated as you do. It sucks, but it seems like you don't have a choice. In the end, I switched to GST, where I carefully controlled how long I worked.