This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

H1 and shoulder deformity-long post

Started by John P, July 26, 2013 · 7 Replies · 184 Views

John P

Hey guys,

 

I have a question. A question that is pretty specific to me i'm thinking.

Many years ago I broke my clavicle. They did not surgerise it and as such it just healed how it healed. Short and rolled forward. It is 2.74cm shorter than the other. 

With that in mind I have always loved handstands and realise that this course is the best way to learn. After much 'I'll never be able to do it, so I won't' I purchased the program and have begun. Though I'll never be able to get the range of motion in that shoulder for a correct handstand I am aiming to get as close as possible.

 

The question.

A bit early as i'm only in week 2 but I would like to know is there a point I can find that signifies me moving on?

We are not supposed to progress without the iM element mastered however I may not be able to master any of them. So how do I know when I gain as much mobility as I can to move onto the next element. Currently I'm thinking 2 extra micro cycles added to the end of the 12 week cycle and maybe just continue them all even after moving on.

 

Anyway there is no real answer I suppose but I would like to here some thoughts. It's early but this does plague my mind a fair bit.

 

Cheers guys

Jon Douglas
John P said:
Currently I'm thinking 2 extra micro cycles added to the end of the 12 week cycle and maybe just continue them all even after moving on.

 

I can't speak regarding your injury, you'll need a community manager/coach for that, but in reference to this part, we all work on maintenance sets for the strength and the mobility elements in particular, esp with handstand work. I no longer focus on dislocate work in my work sets, but it still takes a significant portion of my handstand sessions because hitting a benchmark level does not mean you have gotten absolutely every benefit from it :)

And as Alex said in another thread, getting the shoulder mobility is one (the primary) 'level' of benefit, but working up the weight so as to build stronger traps is definitely beneficial.

Nic Branson

You're going to have to do a bit of exploration with that shoulder and see what kind of range of motion it has. It really is going to be by feel.

John P

Thanks guys.

So mobility is really an ongoing thing then that I should be constantly working and with my shoulder I have to learn my body as it were. 

Let the journey begi continue  :)

Hercules

I don't have anything to add other than experiment and find what works best for you, but I'll say I just broke my clavicle pretty badly - I've got the x-ray up in my gallery. It'll be a month tomorrow that I broke it). Conversely, I had surgery and have noticed a more or less return to full range of motion in 15 days post op (had the op on the 10th jul). my intention is not to make you feel bad that you didn't have surgery, but I think such quick recovery really can be attributed to the prior mobility work of H1 and F1. The stuff really works wonders and is potent pre-medicine.

 

Even if you don't get your full range of motion back, as Alex/Charm said, it's about getting strength in that end range of motion so you can use all your mobility. 

 

Good luck

FredInChina

I don't know if it is an option for you John P, but there may be some possibility to fix your clavicle - that may require the surgeon to break it, and repair it in a more appropriate position, shape and size. :)

It might be worth inquiring about it.

John P

Hercules, I'm very glad you got the surgery!!!! seriously!! Still in some areas the medical profession believes it is better to let them heal naturally. They figure it heals and you maintain enough function even in a bad break like mine that it does not need the extra 'risk' of surgery. 

On that note Fred, I went done that path and it is unable to be fixed. Surgeons can repair the bone but the nerves running under the thing will possibly be stretched as I have grown since the break. 50/50 chance I may loose function and no surgeon will touch it. I did however attend a medical seminar thing down here, in the Royal Alfred I think it was, as the subject and the evidence of why surgery is needed for this injury. So in a way I feel I have done a bit to help others.

 

Unfortunately i'm stuck with it how it is but I will be dedicating a lot of time and effort with H1 to see what I can get out of it  :)

 

And of course my right is fine so I might just go straight to 1 arm handstands  ;)

FredInChina

Ah, sorry to hear :(