This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

No back lever work?

Started by adimi24, July 25, 2013 · 11 Replies · 554 Views

adimi24

I do not know much about gymnastics at all but I just realized back lever is not part of the Foundation series but I was doing BL work from Buliding the Gymnastics Body.  

 

Just wondering, can anyone explain to me why it is not part of the foundation series?

gohei_

How can you be so sure? Just because BL is not an endgoal does not mean it won't be achieved along the way  :)

P5yx

i guess backlever work could be a progression towards the straddle planche.
So we might see it later on.

Coach Sommer

BL are a ring specific exercise and will be much easier and safer for you to learn later once you have finished Foundation and mastered RC.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Aadil Siddiqi
Coach Sommer said:

BL are a ring specific exercise and will be much easier and safer for you to learn later once you have finished Foundation and mastered RC.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Does that mean that the Front Lever progressions in the Foundation series will accumulate in a hold on a bar or on the rings?

Coach Sommer

In terms of FL there is little to no difference whether it is performed on a bar or the rings.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

ChrisUK

So, because there is so little difference, would it be ok to do the entire foundation front lever progression on the rings (the PE & SE which require a bar) instead of using the bar whilst doing foundation? Or would you advise learning it on the bar?

 

Thanks,

 

Chris.

Daniel Burnham
ChrisUK said:

So, because there is so little difference, would it be ok to do the entire foundation front lever progression on the rings (the PE & SE which require a bar) instead of using the bar whilst doing foundation? Or would you advise learning it on the bar?

 

Thanks,

 

Chris.

Rings should be fine. You could even use pbars.

Jon Douglas
ChrisUK said:

So, because there is so little difference, would it be ok to do the entire foundation front lever progression on the rings (the PE & SE which require a bar) instead of using the bar whilst doing foundation? Or would you advise learning it on the bar?

 

Thanks,

 

Chris.

Obviously some of the F2 preparatory elementss do require a bar however...

Aadil Siddiqi

Since we're on the topic, should I get a rope for F2? Because I don't want to arrange for apparatus to hang a rope off of just to see it remain unused for years.

Joshua Slocum

Nope, not needed yet.

ChrisUK

Thanks Dan, Charm. I shall substitute rings over a bar wherever I can.  :D

 

Back to Back Lever topic. One thing I did notice was that on rings, at least for me, back lever really hit the biceps a lot more than it seemed to on a bar. I guess my  stabilizer muscles in that position are just so under-trained.