Band Pull Aparts Upper Traps

Started by lobster8, July 24, 2013 · 2 Replies · 3,878 Views

lobster8

Is it normal that the upper traps fire like crazy during high-rep band pull aparts? Isn't this exercise supposed to work the lower and middle traps? First thing I thought is that I'm initiating movement with the upper trap, but checked it and they are done as supposed to.

raja

No. The intensity is probably too high, causing the compensation by the upper trapezius. Either use a weaker band or decrease the amount of stretch in the band. 

 

Additionally, I have found that a slower eccentric tempo is needed for me to get a "feel" for the middle trapezius working in this movement. I like a 3-4 second eccentric tempo. Also, I like to use a pause at the end of the concentric (band against the chest).

Aadil Siddiqi

Yep, overcompensation by the upper traps. Raja's suggestions are apt, but band pull-aparts should be high rep.