Question on BtGB

Started by fafaedras, July 24, 2013 · 11 Replies · 2,538 Views

fafaedras

The BtGB book mentions that training FSP's should be at 50% of max effort, but I found nowhere the FBE training intensity mentioned? I found only the setsxreps optimal for strength training. Are you supposed to train them to failure?

gohei_

You are supposed to do them for a total of 60 seconds. So if your sets are 10s long you should do 6 sets, and so forth.

fafaedras

I think you misread.

 

First of all, it seems you are writing about the FSP's. That would be correct. But talking about FBE's: what intensity should I do them?

 

Should I do max reps every workout (to failure)

Should I do half max reps (50% - like FSP's)

Should I do 75% or what?

 

I understand that you should aim for 3-5sets x 3-5reps.

gohei_

Ah sorry :facepalm: I had just woken up lol.

I'm not really sure about that, it's been some time since I read the book.

You could use an SSC on the FBEs, I think that is recommended in the book.

fafaedras

EDIT: accidentally wrote this in the quote:

 

 

Ah, no probs. :)

 

I only read that the most used FBE training method is one in which the reps remain the same for all sets.

gohei_

Yeah if you go with the SSC you should keep the same sets and reps throughout the cycle, 8-12 weeks, and I think you should start at a level that is a little higher than where you currently are.

Flameous

SSC mainly goes just for straight arm stuff. For FBEs you can just use normal linear progressing with possibly deloads built in.

Essentially start with easiest exercise you can't perform 5x5 with good form and once you master it, move on to next with 3x3 and build up to 5x5 again. Staying with the exercise for at least one cycle is however a good guideline.

fafaedras
gohei_ said:

Yeah if you go with the SSC you should keep the same sets and reps throughout the cycle, 8-12 weeks, and I think you should start at a level that is a little higher than where you currently are.

 

 

Flameous said:

SSC mainly goes just for straight arm stuff. For FBEs you can just use normal linear progressing with possibly deloads built in.

Essentially start with easiest exercise you can't perform 5x5 with good form and once you master it, move on to next with 3x3 and build up to 5x5 again. Staying with the exercise for at least one cycle is however a good guideline.

Pretty conflicting opinions. Who else knows some more info?

gohei_

To be honest I have never tried the SSC on anything but static holds but it is one of the recommended methods in the book though, but there is nothing wrong with the way Flameous recommended either.

But it would be best if someone more experienced had anything to say

fafaedras
gohei_ said:

To be honest I have never tried the SSC on anything but static holds but it is one of the recommended methods in the book though, but there is nothing wrong with the way Flameous recommended either.

But it would be best if someone more experienced had anything to say

Yeah, I'm waiting on that now. :)

Bipocni

SSC seems to work best with static holds, as they stress the connective tissue a lot more than FBE's.  In my personal experience, a shorter cycle seems to work well, where you pick a challenging volume, stick with it for a few workouts until it's... easier and then add extra volume.  For example with handstand wall runs, I've been sticking with a certain number of reps for a couple weeks, adding ten and starting all over.

 

Bare in mind, adding reps is merely one way to increase the intensity.  Another would be adding another set, reducing rest times or slowing down the speed of the reps.

fafaedras
Bipocni said:

SSC seems to work best with static holds, as they stress the connective tissue a lot more than FBE's.  In my personal experience, a shorter cycle seems to work well, where you pick a challenging volume, stick with it for a few workouts until it's... easier and then add extra volume.  For example with handstand wall runs, I've been sticking with a certain number of reps for a couple weeks, adding ten and starting all over.

 

Bare in mind, adding reps is merely one way to increase the intensity.  Another would be adding another set, reducing rest times or slowing down the speed of the reps.

Oh. That makes it clearer then. Progressing the FBE's every week might be sufficient. I think that's what F1 shows aswell