This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

F1 + H1 + other exercise = overtraining?

Started by adimi24, July 23, 2013 · 12 Replies · 509 Views

adimi24

I have been training 3 days a week with a workout I made from BtGB book plus I rock climb about 3 times a week, swim some laps a few days a week, and have been getting into barefoot running.  

 

Today, I am starting a 3 day a week F1/H1 integrated routine (3 day F1, 3 day H1) plus want to continue my other activities with 1 full rest day a week.  I'm worried about overtraining, espescially my wrists from rockclimbing plus F1/H1.

 

Do you think this will be alright?  Do any of you pursue any other activities on top of your F1/H1 work?

Jon Douglas
adimi24 said:

Do you think this will be alright?  Do any of you pursue any other activities on top of your F1/H1 work?

Yes, I would go as far as to say most of us do. For some it is gymnastics technical training for eg. Your schedule isn' unreasonable, provided you're pretty well able to keep up the pace, but unless you are damn confident and damn conditioned, jumping into 3xF7 and 3xH1 strikes me as a little too ambitious. My somewhat overcautious advice is to start a bit more conservatively (say more like a 3-day-a-week F split and 3-4 H1 days/week) and see how it goes after a 4-week block.

Joshua Slocum
Charm said:

Yes, I would go as far as to say most of us do. For some it is gymnastics technical training for eg. Your schedule isn' unreasonable, provided you're pretty well able to keep up the pace, but unless you are damn confident and damn conditioned, jumping into 3xF7 and 3xH1 strikes me as a little too ambitious. My somewhat overcautious advice is to start a bit more conservatively (say more like a 3-day-a-week F split and 3-4 H1 days/week) and see how it goes after a 4-week block.

Caution is always prudent when deciding on workout volume. Personally I'd start with 4-a-week F1 split and H1 twice a week.

Bipocni
Joshua Slocum said:

Caution is always prudent when deciding on workout volume. Personally I'd start with 4-a-week F1 split and H1 twice a week.

That's been working for me.  I just do the H1 work on upper body days.

Murray Truelove

I was doing:

 

Mon/Thu: H1+F1a 

Tue/Fri:   H1+F1b

 

It proved too much so now I'm only doing H1 on F1a days. You can try what ever load you like and you'll soon know if you're over training. I should state that my diet hasn't been the best recently and it's entirely possible with correct nutrition I might have been able to carry on with 4 day of H1.

m6shifter

after the 4th week cycle all that would be too much for me.

adimi24
Charm said:

jumping into 3xF7 and 3xH1 strikes me as a little too ambitious. My somewhat overcautious advice is to start a bit more conservatively (say more like a 3-day-a-week F split and 3-4 H1 days/week)

 

 

I am confused. What is the difference between the two plans you mentioned?  

 

And, just to confirm, F7 just means the 7 fundamental exercises all in one workout right?

 

Bipocni

Yeah, F7 is all Foundation exercises in one workout.  The difference between 3xF7 and the 3 day a week F1 split, is the total volume each workout.  With the 3 day a week split, you work upper body with one workout and lower body with the other, rather than everything every workout, which can be too much for some people.

adimi24
Bipocni said:

Yeah, F7 is all Foundation exercises in one workout.  The difference between 3xF7 and the 3 day a week F1 split, is the total volume each workout.  With the 3 day a week split, you work upper body with one workout and lower body with the other, rather than everything every workout, which can be too much for some people.

 

Maybe I'm too dense but that doesn't make much sense to me; there's only one leg exercise, right?

Jon Douglas
adimi24 said:

Maybe I'm too dense but that doesn't make much sense to me; there's only one leg exercise, right?

It's actually more like;

Day 1; Straight arm push/pull, bent arm push/pull

Day 2; Core (all of it-- abs, hips, lower back, obliques), legs

 

There's overlap along the way because you need to approach elements like manna and levers from different angles to address weak links, but that's how it pans out on paper.

Aadil Siddiqi

I do Foundation in addition to soccer, running, plyometrics and weighted leg work. I plan on getting H1 soon and learning the Olympic Lifts AND increasing my running mileage (slowly). As of now, I am by no means overworked, and I am in week 9of some PEs. If you are careful, you'll be okay.

FredInChina
Aadil Siddiqi said:

(...) in addition to soccer, running, plyometrics and weighted leg work. (...) learning the Olympic Lifts AND increasing my running mileage (slowly) (...)

 

:blink: No swimming and no kickboxing?  _*jealous*_ there was a time I could spend the night dancing & still do all that without paying the price! :)

 

Your mileage may vary Adimi24, work capacity is built over time, and is closely linked to how you rest, eat & how old you are.

You won't listen, but the proper way is to start below your actual threshold and gradually build from there. :)

Aadil Siddiqi

Yep, Fred's right