Hardest exercise on rings

Started by Daniel Canto Figueiredo, July 22, 2013 · 37 Replies · 35,130 Views

Daniel Canto Figueiredo

Just for the sake of dreaming to one day get there, what is the hardest exercise on rings?

 

The victorian? The elevator?

 

Please educate me.

Jon Douglas

Coach posted once about the most difficult possible combination on rings, which was only theoretical at that point. I cannot find or remember it, I'd be very curious if someone does have it bookmarked.

 

It's certainly much more common to see a reverse muscle up than a victorian, and while I expect a rev mu to be at least possible for me (however long it takes) I'm less sure about the vic.

Bipocni

No-ones done a perfect Victorian yet, although some people are getting close. Manna is supposed to be impossible, so my vote is for that.

I'd love to read what coach has to say about the most difficult rings manoeuvres.

Bro'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmYW3VCm-9g

 

This video will introduce you to many strength elements, if you're not already familiar with them. Obviously E and F elements would be the hardest. Keep in mind that the footage selected to demonstrate elements does not always feature perfect form.

Aadil Siddiqi

Carmona, Butterfly, Victorian, Inverted Muscle Up, unsupported Pelican.

I don't think we could include the Manna in the discussion because it has never been achieved, or even sub-optimally executed.

Daniel Burnham

inverted muscle up should not be included on this list...  It is training exercise and is not nearly as hard as the victorian.  Same goes for pelican.  

 

There are a ton of answers to this.  First of all are we talking strictly strength holds?  If that is the case then it is probably victorian.

 

If we are talking transitions then that is a different story.  As we can include a lot of transitions into victorians and presses from crosses.

Flameous

Shouldn't we include straight arm pelican that goes through maltese, essentially full rom Van Gelder? 

 

There is of course huge amount of technical swing movements that shouldn't be forgotten. But if we are talking about strength building exercise, maneuvering from BL to PL (Van Gelder) and from hang to inverted cross (Balandin 2) are something to hit your upper body in such ways that it's pretty hard to even start to understand. 

Joshua Slocum
Flameous said:

Shouldn't we include straight arm pelican that goes through maltese, essentially full rom Van Gelder? 

 

There is of course huge amount of technical swing movements that shouldn't be forgotten. But if we are talking about strength building exercise, maneuvering from BL to PL (Van Gelder) and from hang to inverted cross (Balandin 2) are something to hit your upper body in such ways that it's pretty hard to even start to understand. 

 

Pretty much any strength skill with an E or F rating would be a reasonable contender. If we go by "fewest number of athletes who have competed this skill" then I think the victorian is a clear winner. 

Guest

I think I remember coaches "hardest skill thing" was from victorian, lowering to cross, pressing to maltese, pressing to inv. cross, press to handstand. I may be wrong. 

A straight arm pull from front lever to victorian (and then maybe to a inverted planche? ;)) sounds fun!

P5yx
sse94 said:

I think I remember coaches "hardest skill thing" was from victorian, lowering to cross, pressing to maltese, pressing to inv. cross, press to handstand. I may be wrong. 

A straight arm pull from front lever to victorian (and then maybe to a inverted planche? ;)) sounds fun!

wow the first movement you've named seems insanly hard...

Prometheus
Bipocni said:

No-ones done a perfect Victorian yet, although some people are getting close. Manna is supposed to be impossible, so my vote is for that.

I'd love to read what coach has to say about the most difficult rings manoeuvres.

Wait...what is a real manna if the one coach is getting us to isn't it?

P5yx
Prometheus said:

Wait...what is a real manna if the one coach is getting us to isn't it?

he is talking about a ring manna. there was a thread on that topic a while ago. conclusion was that a manna is not possible on the rings.

Jon Douglas
Prometheus said:

Wait...what is a real manna if the one coach is getting us to isn't it?

Ring manna :)

Christian

Since the phrasing used is hardest exercise on rings and not hardest ring exercise, i'm gonna say doing a snatch while standing on rings is the hardest exercise on rings :-p

P5yx

it's one of those "impossible to do exercises". I wouldn't count it valid. Besides if we're talking hypothetical movements

a reverse planche would still be harder than a manna :P

Keilani Gutierrez

hahaha....front pull to victorian press upto V-sit. that would be bonkers.

piotro

 

Christian said:

Since the phrasing used is hardest exercise on rings and not hardest ring exercise, i'm gonna say doing a snatch while standing on rings is the hardest exercise on rings :-p

Yes, and headstand and OAHS (legs off straps) ;).

B1214N

One finger HS on rings with feet off of straps.

Joshua Slocum
B1214N said:

One finger HS on rings with feet off of straps.

One-arm inverted cross.

B1214N
Joshua Slocum said:

One-arm inverted cross.

That would be like a laid out straight body flag that handbalancers do (a sort of one arm side lever).

Joshua Slocum
B1214N said:

That would be like a laid out straight body flag that handbalancers do (a sort of one arm side lever).

No, it would be like an inverted cross, but with only one arm. You'd need an inhumanly strong grip. And also a ring that couldn't be rotated.

B1214N

Oh inhuman grip like the CTI.

Bipocni
sse94 said:

I think I remember coaches "hardest skill thing" was from victorian, lowering to cross, pressing to maltese, pressing to inv. cross, press to handstand. I may be wrong. 

A straight arm pull from front lever to victorian (and then maybe to a inverted planche? ;)) sounds fun!

Oh yeah, an inverted cross press to handstand sounds reasonable compared to the one arm close to impossible...

MrPuppeh
B1214N said:

One finger HS on rings with feet off of straps.

 

 

Joshua Slocum said:

One-arm inverted cross.

One arm victorian

B1214N
Bipocni said:

Oh yeah, an inverted cross press to handstand sounds reasonable compared to the one arm close to impossible...

The inverted cross press to HS is possible and is actually a C skill in the Code of Points.