Serratus Activation

Started by Cody, July 22, 2013 · 10 Replies · 5,493 Views

Cody

Whenever I do planche leans, I feel a strong activation in my serratus, however, whenever I do tuck planche, I don't feel it at all, I only really feel my lats.

I've been able to activate my serratus only a few times in the past, and my tuck planche felt way stronger, but now, it doesn't seem like it's happening anymore. Any advice on how to properly do this? I feel like this is really holding me back. :(

Aadil Siddiqi

After your workout, put yourself in a band (from above) and get into an assisted Ball Planche. From here, keep adjusting your position until you feel your Serratus fire.

Cody

That's exactly what I'm doing, lol.

Anyways, I just tried out the band thing and it felt pretty good. I'm gonna experiment with that for a while and see what happens.

Mats Trane

The band thing is good to find the right feeling but dont only do bands. I did this mistake years ago and ended up getting weaker.

Jon Douglas

I've had good results with making an effort to clench my lats after protracting, as I begin to lean. I think this is giving my serratus a kick to wake up and get in the game, if that makes sense

Aadil Siddiqi
Mats Trane said:

The band thing is good to find the right feeling but dont only do bands. I did this mistake years ago and ended up getting weaker.

Yeah, absolutely. There's a real emphasis on doing these AFTER a workout.

Cody
Charm said:

I've had good results with making an effort to clench my lats after protracting, as I begin to lean. I think this is giving my serratus a kick to wake up and get in the game, if that makes sense

So, you protracted first then activated lats? Because right now I'm doing the opposite and it doesn't seem to work.
Jon Douglas

Yes. Got everything ready to lean forward, then made an extra pull down with lats. That plus a bit of external rotation seems to be doing the job for me.

Cody

Alright, I'm gonna try it out today.

Also, has anyone ever experienced thumb pain from doing planche work on the ground with hands turned out to the side? If so, are there any ways to fix this? (Besides the obvious working on parallettes/turning hands back)

B1214N

You should also try squeezing the floor. I find that helps with protraction.