This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

why no hspu in any of the foundations?

Started by Daniel Krammer, July 19, 2013 · 13 Replies · 398 Views

Daniel Krammer

I am just curious as to where/when do head stand/hand stand push ups come into play in the foundations?

 

I have dropped my previous calisthenic routine and have been working my way through the foundations and the hand stand progressions in hand stand 1 but I don't see head stand or hand stand push up variaitons.

 

I have the BTGB book as well and I see them there...I am wondering if they come into play as a progression in the HBP in which case I can use the book to pick up where Foundation 2 leaves off. 

 

Also what about foundation 3 and 4? i am not very close to finishing foundation 1 and 2 but am loving the program so far and am anticipating 3 and 4!

Joshua Slocum

HeaSPU will almost certainly be in F3 or 4, since it's a prerequisite for the HBP. 

 

Foundation 3 is coming soon, and 4 will likely follow a few months after that. 

Jon Douglas
Daniel Krammer said:

I am just curious as to where/when do head stand/hand stand push ups come into play in the foundations?

 

I have dropped my previous calisthenic routine and have been working my way through the foundations and the hand stand progressions in hand stand 1 but I don't see head stand or hand stand push up variaitons.

 

I have the BTGB book as well and I see them there...I am wondering if they come into play as a progression in the HBP in which case I can use the book to pick up where Foundation 2 leaves off. 

 

Also what about foundation 3 and 4? i am not very close to finishing foundation 1 and 2 but am loving the program so far and am anticipating 3 and 4!

My money is that F3 will work thoroughly through HSPU variations, then multi-planar pushing pretty much as per BtGB in F4. Whether there will be XR HS pushups in there, who can say? Not me ^_^

Daniel Krammer

thank you guys for the fast reply! this community is awesome and I am loving every minute of the training...

trw

My curiosity is how a having a handstand will factor into this. I imagine have a reasonably solid handstand is a prerequisite for a hollowback press, but handstand training obviously falls under the purview of H1. I have H1, but what about those theoretical people who follow the Foundation series through to the end but don't have a handstand and don't follow H1? Is the final hollowback press impossible for them?

Keilani Gutierrez
trw said:

My curiosity is how a having a handstand will factor into this. I imagine have a reasonably solid handstand is a prerequisite for a hollowback press, but handstand training obviously falls under the purview of H1. I have H1, but what about those theoretical people who follow the Foundation series through to the end but don't have a handstand and don't follow H1? Is the final hollowback press impossible for them?

per the language used in the foundation courses, you will not be casually introduced or acquainted to any element, if HBP is included, the only standard is mastery.
Christian

I think what we will see is people achieving the strength HS. By this I mean the ability to hold a closed shoulder, bent ish arm and arched back HS purely on the developed strength. I would say that this is what you see in most of the street workout videos. Doing a hollowbody press only stays in the HS position for what 1 second before you lower down. So having a clean, perfect line HS as developed in H1 will not be a prerequiste for the HBP. I have seen alot of people who can start from HeS and do free standing presses, but not hold a HS statically. On the top of the rep there is always abit "falling" and saving thanks to the strength developed.

 

My thoughts on the subject. Time will tell anyways.

Jon Douglas
Christian said:

I think what we will see is people achieving the strength HS. By this I mean the ability to hold a closed shoulder, bent ish arm and arched back HS purely on the developed strength. I would say that this is what you see in most of the street workout videos. Doing a hollowbody press only stays in the HS position for what 1 second before you lower down. So having a clean, perfect line HS as developed in H1 will not be a prerequiste for the HBP. I have seen alot of people who can start from HeS and do free standing presses, but not hold a HS statically. On the top of the rep there is always abit "falling" and saving thanks to the strength developed.

 

My thoughts on the subject. Time will tell anyways.

Similar to having PPP without strong PL lean despite holding it (briefly) at the top?

Christian

Maybe :-) Just guessing a bit here of course. Sorta like that baby falling GIF posted here. He can press but not hold. When I was helping teaching gymnastics for kids (purely recreationally, nothing advanced), I saw the "elite" group of kids training and they where doing press HS without being able to do free standing ones. They could press up, wobble a bit and lower or fall down.

trw

I was wondering if that might be the case as well. But I don't know anything about these movements since I'm so far away from either the HBP or the handstand.

 

Just to make it clear for those doing the hard work of putting this series together, I'm not asking for the details. Obviously that comes when it comes. I can handle not knowing, I've got plenty of work to do before then.

Cory Fair

It wouldn't be gymnastics without plenty of love for true HSPU. Where that comes in, I won't say. :)

Joshua Slocum
trw said:

My curiosity is how a having a handstand will factor into this. I imagine have a reasonably solid handstand is a prerequisite for a hollowback press, but handstand training obviously falls under the purview of H1. I have H1, but what about those theoretical people who follow the Foundation series through to the end but don't have a handstand and don't follow H1? Is the final hollowback press impossible for them?

 

My guess is that F3 or F4 will have some iM drills that will get you enough balance to do HBP. And perhaps a note at the beginning of F3 or F4 that you should really be working on your handstands. 

B1214N
Christian said:

I think what we will see is people achieving the strength HS. By this I mean the ability to hold a closed shoulder, bent ish arm and arched back HS purely on the developed strength. I would say that this is what you see in most of the street workout videos. Doing a hollowbody press only stays in the HS position for what 1 second before you lower down. So having a clean, perfect line HS as developed in H1 will not be a prerequiste for the HBP. I have seen alot of people who can start from HeS and do free standing presses, but not hold a HS statically. On the top of the rep there is always abit "falling" and saving thanks to the strength developed.

 

My thoughts on the subject. Time will tell anyways.

I can tell you because I am one of those people who can do HBP, but not hold a HS. When I reach the HS position from the press I always fall or hold it for 1 second if I'm lucky. That HS also happens to be arched and with closed shoulders. I've done up to 5 HBP concentric reps one after another, but not connected because I always lose the balance after reaching the HS thus not being able to do the eccentric portion for the next rep. So people who train the HBP, but not HS can still achieve it, but the HS will be ugly and they might not be able to hold it. 

 

As a side note, I did not do specific training to get the HBP. It came from just training planche push-ups. I've first done it when I was at straddle planche push-up stage. I haven't been doing much HS training, but I do plan to so I can get a solid HS.

 

I think that it would be possible for me to hold a banana HS and do the negative if I practice my HBPs more, but of course if I want to be able to hold a straight HS I would have to do the correct specific HS training. 

 

Charm said:

Similar to having PPP without strong PL lean despite holding it (briefly) at the top?

I believe that is a different case to this one because I think the point of Coach making us start on PPPs without starting planche leans is because most of us will be doing PPPs without the full lean and he wants us to start building up the strength to do PPPs with the full lean because just doing planche leans won't really transfer much to the PPPs. In other words, you must be capable of a planche lean before you can do a PPP with the same amount of lean as the planche lean. PPPs also carry over more to planche leans than the other way around so it sort of makes sense to start doing PPPs with less lean before doing a planche lean with maximum lean.

 

In the case of HBP and HS, it's because the HS is a very technical skill and is the part that requires the most balance in the HBP. In planche leans there's not much balance because your feet are supported and thus there isn't much difference in balance if any between the top and lower positions of the PPP.

B1214N

I anticipate that there will be chest rolling push up variations in F3 and F4 as they are natural progressions to the HBP.