This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

The IM's to keep

Started by Jon Douglas, July 18, 2013 · 4 Replies · 296 Views

Jon Douglas

So I've been advancing my HS work in the past week or so, having finally passed a bottleneck PE11 and moving through to SE5. I want to keep practising HS 4x a week. It's been fitting in very well after Foundation work with the short session length. However, now the number of drills is starting to add up. I want to keep it as time-efficient as possible, while obviously including everything important.

 

I've been religiously doing my dislocate work and edging up the weight gradually, and want to keep rotating through those 4 with weight increases. I find the PPT work quite easy.

 

My question here is how i can structure my handstand sessions at this point, to maintain/improve my mobility? Which are the drills to particularly focus on?

This morning's session (a typical one) looked like this;

 

60 sec forearm HS, 5 overgrip weighted dislocate, supine PPT

60r wall runs, 5 weighted dislocate, forearm plank PPT

10 partial wall HS rep , 5x5 prone weighted overgrip dislocates, plank PPT

--

5x 10s partial wall handstand, 5 elevated PPT

 

 

Wrist stretches and pushups are done in my general warmup prior to Foundation work.

 

Any thoughts or advice, however general?

Nic Branson

Do the drills you need to. You're also not limited to only doing them during H1 work. I do my dislocates between foundation movements.

Jon Douglas
Nic Branson said:

Do the drills you need to. You're also not limited to only doing them during H1 work. I do my dislocates between foundation movements.

I get that, but I also don't want to fall into arbitrarily choosing them.

I've been rotating through the 4 dislocate elements as I said, increase weight and starting it over. Maybe I'll work out something similar with the PPT series.

Maybe it requires more thought... or less. Hmm.

 

Edit;

I usually find myself doing more mobility as I feel appropriate, but it's more about a structured minimum, to ensure I'm doing 'at least' this much, and that my 'at least' is still progress. Make sense? When my time and circumstance permits I can work through drills and stretches to my heart's content, but not every day is like that.

Nic Branson

Makes sense but you're also over thinking. Train some elements organically. Movement will come and go and each issue can be different or just pop up. Do not try and over plan elements you've already done. Some days a certain thing feels "good" and is useful so do that. The rest of your plan is structured. You're falling into the over planning pitfall.

Jon Douglas
Nic Branson said:

Makes sense but you're also over thinking. Train some elements organically. Movement will come and go and each issue can be different or just pop up. Do not try and over plan elements you've already done. Some days a certain thing feels "good" and is useful so do that. The rest of your plan is structured. You're falling into the over planning pitfall.

Gotcha. Ill keep working hard. Thanks Nic