Need some opinions.

Started by Iuri, July 17, 2013 · 11 Replies · 2,760 Views

Iuri

Hello all, I´m 24 years old and have done a lot of strength training throughout my life, I´ve developed quite a good level of strength, hypertrophy and conditioning (most tham almost anybody I know) but I´ve come to the point where I´m feeling "kinda old". I dunno maybe I´ve forced my body too much. Anyway now I want to "settle down" a little bit and I want to stop trying to get stronger at everything and just specialize in the kind of strength/training I like the most, and alongside that get a good cardio conditioning, not anything great, just a little bit of walking, running and sprinting.

 

Back to the point, I want to specialize, and for me that means overhead lifting,  pick up a weight on the floor and raise above the head. I like to do these both with barbells and stones (careful with those, REALLY, until now I´ve only raised above my head a stone that is light in relation to my shoulder strength level), I really like doing those and I´m quite strong at them naturally so they give me joy, also I Iike the kind of strength and hypertrophy they build, well, at least supposedly, because, to tell the truth, I haven´t trained this movement too much(almost nothing). This is not bad actually, because its something fresh to work on.

So I decided I want to develop this kind of strength into my thirties the most I can them retire, of course I´m doing some other exercises as well, to even things out a little bit.

 

What do all of that have to do with gymnastics? Well, to do the kind of movement I described the most important muscles that I noticed are biceps, forearms and shoulders, for the barbell, and hand, forearms, biceps, pectoralis and shoulders, for the stones. So when planning to strengthen these muscles I decided to maybe doing planche work since planche strengthen biceps, shoulders and pecs a lot. I´m still undecided though because I´m afraid of something, since I´m a little bit heavy(and slight overweight), I´m afraid to hurt my elbows or get hyperextension(is that possible?).

 

I would greatly appreciate if someone with experience with planche training would give me some insight on this, is it dangerous, even slighty, to do planche work when a person is a little heavy? I don´t want to rush on anything, in fact I was planning on getting it in five years of consistent work. I think its important to say that any planche work I do would have to be on a dip bar or paralettes because both of my wrists get a lot of pain whenever I do push up/kind of work.

 

My body data: 180 cm(5.9 ft); 94 kg(207.23 lbs)[i have both muscles and fat]

Iuri

Nevermind guys, I don´t need answers to this topic anymore, decided to quit strength training, thanks.

Christian

Hmmmm, not the smartest decision I would say. What makes you arrive at that?

 

24 old? Time to specialize and not get stronger?

 

Here's a different opionion.

 

You are YOUNG and it's time to get as good as possible in as much as possible. Start with a good (Foundation) program that will give you all the all round athleticism you need. Find a cool sport and some other physical hobby and GET TO WORK!

FredInChina
Iuri said:

(...) I´m 24 years old and (...) I´m feeling "kinda old" (...) I want to (...) retire (...)

 

Iuri said:

(...) I (...) decided to quit strength training (...).

 

Sounds like a plan, good luck :)

Iuri

Thanks for the feedback, I´m already at a very good overall strength level because I´ve done so much exercise throughout my life, but yeah, maybe a good program could reanimate me. The "retiring" thing is just about strength training and I´m saying that because everytime I do some high volume of strength work I don´t feel kinda "well", feel more tired tham I used to feel, hopefully that is just a bad moment.

I could see myself following the Foundation strength program, start fresh, is that viable using only paralettes? As I said, my wrists can´t take punishment.

MrPuppeh

Old people should do swimming its low impact on joints

Hercules

He's 24. That's not old. Still, 8 years my senior.

Foundation 1 would be good for you - doesn't really require anything that can't be improvised, but rings are a worthwhile investment for it.

 

So far as wrist go kit's wrist and hand series is really good. Don't work around a problem, fix it (unfortunately in my case, only time heals broken bones   :blink:  :) )

Vincearoo

Nooo. I'm 24, I don't want to retire to swimming yet! :(

Iuri

Thank you all for your opinions!

MrPuppeh
Vincearoo said:

Nooo. I'm 24, I don't want to retire to swimming yet! :(

You should prepare for it then !

Like me - I already have my grandpa gear ready ( walking stick, farmer pants, farmer hat, some beers and a big pipe ) 

That should be enough for the start !  B-)

LateStarter@46

It's normal to feel tired/ not well after a heavy strength training session. It could be that you need to back off it and stick to a maintenance level that you're happy to keep whilst developing your baseline fitness (for faster recovery). Look at your nutrition and sleeping situations - are they more than adequate?

 

No matter how strong you are, you start at the beginning with the GB Foundation course - personally I think that it will re-animate you and keep you connected to achieving strength/ form/ function goals. Weight training is boring after a few decades. Gymnastics training leads to several interesting strength functions.

 

Good luck!

Iuri

Thank you guys very much for all the replies, help and opinions, gonna stay away from the post now.