Hello everyone, i am a complete newbie to gymnastics. I have very little gymnastic abillilty and that is leading me to stop my progress in pole vault. My coach told that i should look in to gymnastics because the two sports are very similar. My question is what products on this site can help hold a handstand and do handstand pushups with ease. Thank you any input would be greatly appreciated.
Pole Vault and Gymnastics.
Started by asaleh, July 17, 2013 · 8 Replies · 6,640 Views
Get the Foundation series and Handstand 1. Not only will you train towards handstand and handstand push ups, but get the side lever which I imagine is very beneficial for pole vault
asaleh said:(...) the two sports are very similar (...)
Gymnastics and pole vault... seriously? :scratchinghead:
I used to train a bit with a track athlete who said high bar drills are very good for pole vault. If you can find an open gym and an coach their learning a bit of high bar might be beneficial. I know my friend wanted to learn to kip and cast to handstand.
FredInChina said:Gymnastics and pole vault... seriously? :scratchinghead:
The pole vault is a combination of two sports. Athletics and artistic gymnastic. While you are in the air basic gymnastic strength is an excellent way to supplement the swinging and inverting movments in the air. Hope that helps.
I would go for F1-F2 if I was you. The sections Ropeclimbe, Hollowback press and Sidelever will give you excellent strenght and mobility for pole vault. Alot of gymnasts have gone from gymnastics to pole vault with great success.
jelena isinbajeva from Russia (as you my know) is just one example. She has the world record and alot of Olympic medals.
As Mats mentioned, pole vaulting and gymnastics have a long history together. Many of the world's top pole vaulters either were themselves former gymnasts or incorporate GST into their training.
Personal fun note for you; Stacy Dragila, who won the first gold medal in women's pole vaulting at the 2000 Summer Olympics, used to occasionally come into our facility to train.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Thank you Gentlemen for educating me. ![]()
Once I thought about it, it made a lot of sense; I think I was prejudiced from my T&F days, back then on the track, gymnastics did not receive the respect it deserves.
During my polevault days, we had access to parallel bars and metal single rails. I've heard of some teams going to train at gyms but that wasn't our fate.
Basically we did lots of pullups, pullovers and leg lifts and bar climbs (no ropes) and pull to candlestick. We also worked PB swing to HS and wendeswing dismounts.
My coach actually gave me his dad's notes (his dad was the coach at the local JC) for me during my senior year as I ended up the captain after our captain and #2 left.
The actual event is more like a clear hip 1/2. Drop, shoot 1/2 turn push away.
That being said a lot of PVers will train kips and some specific drills they do on a single rail or rings.
A senior during my first year of PV as a jr liked to flip after pushing over the bar so it kinda looked like a Tsuk. Always thought that was cool.