Curse or blessing?

Started by doofus93, July 16, 2013 · 10 Replies · 3,598 Views

doofus93

Hey guys i've been a lil bumped. To start off, i'm 6'1 and roughly 180lbs and i take adult gym classes. In my class, i feel like i'm currently being reinformed that i'm not suitable for this sport. Sure, the coach teaches me stuff but he always kinda 'explains' that i do not have the body type for this sport as i'm too tall, but since i'm paying for the class he said he'd teach me, saying that it'll take me longer to learn stuff. I get that, but it's just that i love gymnastics and he says i'm hardworking (well, relatively). He says that i'd be better off playing basketball or sth, but i hate bball but i love gymnastics. To be honest, i would want to continue my gymnastics in college and see how far i can go. However, sometimes i wonder if it's a curse or blessing to love a sport which i might not be suitable for..

 

~Depressed~

Jon Douglas
doofus93 said:

i would want to continue my gymnastics in college and see how far i can go

Seems to me like you've answered your own question right there.

 

Are you planning to start a new sport and work towards being a professional athlete? If not, then what can you possibly lose by trying your best?

Plenty of people with the perfect body shape and training don't get top honours either. I sincerely do not understand why you would take (positive) circumstances of your birth as keeping you from doing what you want. Why shouldn't you compete and take it as far as you can?

MrPuppeh

I am 6,3 and 210lbs and I know that it WILL take me more time and that I probably won't be able to do end game skills but I think everyone can master the foundation series in some time.

 

But the best thing that you can do is - To not be depressed because all these self doubts and negative emotions are like an anchor slowing us down.

 

Remember:

We must work with what we have

Cory Fair

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/page/index.html/_/everyday-champions/everyday-champion-erik-r125

 

Erik is 6'6 and an extremely successful student.

 

Russell Czeschin is 6'3" and was on the Oklahoma team (puts out a large number of Olympians) and was an All-American.

 

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-gym/mtt/czeschin_russell00.html

 

I can provide a dozen more example: your coach is dead wrong, lazy, or both.

Jon Douglas
Cory Fair said:

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/page/index.html/_/everyday-champions/everyday-champion-erik-r125

 

Erik is 6'6 and an extremely successful student.

 

Russell Czeschin is 6'3" and was on the Oklahoma team (puts out a large number of Olympians) and was an All-American.

 

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-gym/mtt/czeschin_russell00.html

 

I can provide a dozen more example: your coach is dead wrong, lazy, or both.

An error occurred

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

Joshua Slocum
doofus93 said:

i love gymnastics.

Then do gymnastics. That's all there is to it.

As has already been said, you're height does not preclude you from learning the sport you love. It will prove to be a disadvantage for learning some skills, but who cares? You don't have to be the best in the world, or even the best in your gym, to enjoy the sport you love.

Erik Sjolin

You'll get it, no problem. It'll just take you longer to get there and will be much more difficult to advance. Coach used a metaphor for progress which I liked, saying "each day is a single page. Seemingly nothing on its own, but after a year is a fairly substantial novel."

For me or you, however, that novel might be less "To Kill A Mockingbird" and more the entire Game of Thrones series, but the point still stands.

Handbalancer

I was a lard ass at 17. I remember being embarrased to run the 3km test in school because I never managed to finish. I had back pain and had developed an identity as someone who cant do things. When I started breaking at 19 which was my first meeting with anything acrobatic, a good friend of me assured me I would never learn to do windmills which was my dream. I was also very afraid of dancing. Neither did I have flexible shoulders or even 1 min handstand when I did my first handstand class at 23(though I did have strength and awareness from the years of breaking)

 

Now im 28, im doing airflares and im working as a professional handbalancer and dancer. The only physical talent I have is the one I created. Of course its hard but iron will combined with a desire to learn is a potent combination.

 

Be happy you love it, its a blessing more than anything. Indifference is what makes nothing happen. Dont listen to condescending garbage and build for yourself what you want to make. Learn to enjoy the process and the results will be even more rewarding. 

Joshua Naterman
Handbalancer said:

I was a lard ass at 17. I remember being embarrased to run the 3km test in school because I never managed to finish. I had back pain and had developed an identity as someone who cant do things. When I started breaking at 19 which was my first meeting with anything acrobatic, a good friend of me assured me I would never learn to do windmills which was my dream. I was also very afraid of dancing. Neither did I have flexible shoulders or even 1 min handstand when I did my first handstand class at 23(though I did have strength and awareness from the years of breaking)

 

Now im 28, im doing airflares and im working as a professional handbalancer and dancer. The only physical talent I have is the one I created. Of course its hard but iron will combined with a desire to learn is a potent combination.

 

Be happy you love it, its a blessing more than anything. Indifference is what makes nothing happen. Dont listen to condescending garbage and build for yourself what you want to make. Learn to enjoy the process and the results will be even more rewarding. 

Indeed. When it comes to talent, the most important ingredient is consistent hard work. 

 

OP:

 

Sometimes life can be short, but even a short life is cold and miserable without the passion burning in your heart. You have this passion for gymnastics! Follow your dreams, and ignore the naysayers. Passion is the real blessing, so when you find it be sure to fan the flames :)

 

If you have goals, I would say they should be:

 

1) Continue to love gymnastics

2) Use every minute of your training time to hone your skills to the best of your ability.

 

The rest will be what it will be, and no matter what you will become a decent gymnast... and you will be proud of your accomplishments for the rest of your life.

doofus93

Hey guys I am so grateful for all of your comforting advice. I will strive to work hard :) Thank!!^^

Jon Douglas
doofus93 said:

Hey guys I am so grateful for all of your comforting advice. I will strive to work hard :) Thank!!^^

Get in on the group compilation video too!! :)