Questions regarding new training cycle

Started by Dillon Castro, February 4, 2009 · 0 Replies · 1,478 Views

Dillon Castro

Hey everyone, so I've been doing ring/gymnastics program as strength training for ~5 months. My friend and I just got done with our first training cycle and tested our max hold times today, this led us to some problems/areas that need clarification, we thought this would be the best place to get these cleared up. I have to apologize for the length of this post, but it seems like a lot of information is necessary to answer these well. Thus far, this has been our program.

Warm-up:

Running 1 mile

Wrist Conditioning series sets of 10

Workout:

Back Lever(tuck) 6secx10

Dynamic pull

Frog Stand 15secx4

Dynamic pull

Front Lever 5secx12

SLS or Jumping deck squats (trying to focus more on hamstrings next cycle)

L-seat 10secx6 (these we have been doing with bent knees, but with back and arms on the same line)

Our new max holds are pretty much identical which I think is interesting but not surprising, and they are:

tuck back lever 35 seconds/27seconds

advanced tuck back lever 14 seconds both

tuck front lever 27 seconds both

advanced tuck front lever 14 seconds as well, however we can't come to a conclusion whether or not our form is perfect, hopefully we can get some pictures soon

frog stand 27 seconds both

straight arm frog stand 14 seconds (the jump between these I feel is huge, my hip flexors were feeling these badly)

L-sit Core-wise, we can do a full L-seat but our quads were cramping up badly so no time recorded

So now with some information here are our questions:

-What can we do to alleviate cramps in our quads for l-seat (what exercises would be useful)?

-Our backs are straight during these new holds (the advanced tuck) and our backs are flat it seems, but our hips seem to tuck in a little bit, is this okay? (I will post a picture soon if this is unclear)

-Lastly, should/how would one go about mixing in static core exercises, (i.e. middle split hold, straddle-l, and regular-l) or does this fall into the category of one thing at a time? And if so, which would you guys say is the most important to focus on?