This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

AU for critique

Started by 3D Guy, July 14, 2013 · 22 Replies · 446 Views

3D Guy

Hey hello everybody!

 

Due to some required extra work for my back and posterior chain, i've been alternating ABH with AU

I'm working this week with 4x15 reps... they're......  hard.

 

I want to know if my ROM and tempo are good.

 

In the reps 1 and 2 i used a faster tempo than in the others....  

 

Anyway, it was a really hard work today..

 

 

http://youtu.be/nWAg0KxFD6Q

 

Thanks in advice

SuperBru

Have you mastered ABH?

3D Guy
SuperBru said:

Have you mastered ABH?

Nope

 

I'm alternating ABH with AU due to the need of a higher volume for solving some lower back /posterior chain problems....

 

i''ve been dealing with a lumbar rotation and flexion syndrome that caused a long list of muscular imbalances,,,

SuperBru

I'm concerned that training AU before you master ABH could cause long term problems. 

Jon Douglas
SuperBru said:

I'm concerned that training AU before you master ABH could cause long term problems. 

Shouldn't think so in the vast majority of cases, however, underlying back issues can get delicate... I assume you've been (medically) cleared for work on these, 3DGuy? You generally have a pretty down to earth approach to patience and injuries :)

3D Guy
Charm said:

Shouldn't think so in the vast majority of cases, however, underlying back issues can get delicate... I assume you've been (medically) cleared for work on these, 3DGuy? You generally have a pretty down to earth approach to patience and injuries :)

i've been diagnosed with a little ammount of scoliosis, my right upper quart body and my left down quart body have been placed in imbalance.

 

I also need to strengthen a lot my lower back eresctors, my glutes, my posterior chain and my legs.

 

I'm not suppossed to perform any kind of back squats or deadlifts until new advice

 

it's time to give a lot of atention tothis phase of rehabilitation /balance.  But i have to take some work in a higher volume.

 

 

There's no pain performing this kind of work.

 

 

what about my form and ROM?

Jon Douglas
3D Guy said:

i've been diagnosed with a little ammount of scoliosis, my right upper quart body and my left down quart body have been placed in imbalance.

 

I also need to strengthen a lot my lower back eresctors, my glutes, my posterior chain and my legs.

 

I'm not suppossed to perform any kind of back squats or deadlifts until new advice

 

it's time to give a lot of atention tothis phase of rehabilitation /balance.  But i have to take some work in a higher volume.

 

 

There's no pain performing this kind of work.

 

 

what about my form and ROM?

Looks good to me. Just be aware that it's easy to bounce out of the bottom. You may wish to take a second pause at the top and bottom to kill your momentum. Your rom looks fine to me, even a bit higher than necessary (but that's a good thing) :)

dritar

Look ok to me.  And tells us truthfully. Is it easier or harder than ABH ?

Mads Smedberg

If you think ABH is bad wait til you get to the rocking. Its terrible

Jon Douglas
dritar said:

Look ok to me.  And tells us truthfully. Is it easier or harder than ABH ?

Not to speak for OP, but;

I find it easier, but not *physically*. A lot of the difficulty of minute holds is your mind telling you how difficult it's going to be. When you're moving it's easier to think 'just keep going' rather than 'oh this sucks, HOW long have I got left..?'

 

Mads Smedberg said:

If you think ABH is bad wait til you get to the rocking. Its terrible

I like these, I'd train em more often if not for the... gentleman's logistics issue.

FredInChina
Charm said:

(...) the... gentleman's logistics issue.

 

LOL :D

Jon Douglas
FredInChina said:

LOL :D

That was the absolute most aplomb I could muster for the problem ^_^

MrPuppeh
SuperBru said:

I'm concerned that training AU before you master ABH could cause long term problems. 

Can you clarify what kind of problems?

MMarty

I have been doing AUs for a long time and I find them much easier than ABH and ABR. In my opinion, all exercises after ABH and ABR are much easier.

3D Guy
MMarty said:

I have been doing AUs for a long time and I find them much easier than ABH and ABR. In my opinion, all exercises after ABH and ABR are much easier.

i think the same.

 

For me, in terms of difficulty

 

1. ABH

2. ABR

3. AU

 

Just remember everyone, that the student in the video has his legs apart with a body width.  Also, his feet are in a lower level than the horizontal.

If you concentrate on keeping your legs with a narrower stance, and totally horizontal to your hips, then , getting up to a good rom and keeping up the volumen, is a lot harder.

thecolin
Charm said:

 

I like these, I'd train em more often if not for the... gentleman's logistics issue.

Really tight underpants, try it.

Jon Douglas
thecolin said:

Really tight underpants, try it.

Man, if I had a dollar for every time i was told that...

SuperBru
MrPuppeh said:

Can you clarify what kind of problems?

Let me answer that question with an example. If I were to skip the ABH and move onto the ABR surely I would not be neuromuscularly ready for the movement. 3D Guy has medical reasons for doing the AU so I can't really criticise him because I'm not a doctor.

Richard Hamilton
Mads Smedberg said:

If you think ABH is bad wait til you get to the rocking. Its terrible

Thanks for the reassurance there Mads :facepalm:

3D Guy
SuperBru said:

Let me answer that question with an example. If I were to skip the ABH and move onto the ABR surely I would not be neuromuscularly ready for the movement. 3D Guy has medical reasons for doing the AU so I can't really criticise him because I'm not a doctor.

I need to strengthen and hypertrophiate my hammies, my lower back erectors and my glutes.  These are a modified version of conventional back extensions, so they are  a must in my rehabilitation program.

 

The curious thing is that i just need to work in some things for fixing muscle imbalances. I.e, i have to lower a lot the volume of anterior core work.  And also i need to work a lot for my serratus anterior and lower traps....

 

 

Those are just some part of my imbalances...

FredInChina
SuperBru said:

I'm concerned that training AU before you master ABH could cause long term problems.

MrPuppeh said:

Can you clarify what kind of problems?

SuperBru said:

Let me answer that question with an example. If I were to skip the ABH and move onto the ABR surely I would not be neuromuscularly ready for the movement.(...)

Why don't you just say that you have no idea? :)

dritar

Every time you skip an ABH a cute kitten dies. Do it for the kittens.

SuperBru
dritar said:

Every time you skip an ABH a cute kitten dies. Do it for the kittens.

This is the long term effects that I was concerned about.

sad_kitten.jpg