Fruit?

Started by Aadil Siddiqi, July 14, 2013 · 7 Replies · 3,575 Views

Aadil Siddiqi

I eat fruit pretty much daily (anywhere from 1-4 servings), but I have come across plenty of information on various websites (mainly bodybuilding :P ) that state that fruit should be avoided due to the fructose it contains. I understand that our liver can safely house up to 100g fructose, so I should be good eating as much fruit as I do, right?

I'll generally eat apples, bananas, pears, watermelon and berries, and occasionally more exotic fruit. In Pakistan (where I live for 9 months of the year), I eat fruit seasonally, so guava, mangoes, melon, apples, pear, oranges, strawberries. I like to think that fruit is an important part of my diet, because it gives me quick energy for sports, and because I have a bit of a sweet tooth :P so I minimise cravings. I also heard that fruit should never be eaten with a meal, because it will ferment in the body? Sounds a bit weird to me, but I dunno..

I eat pretty clean in general. My diet is pretty balanced in terms of ratios, but I'm probably a bit low on fats. I currently have a small meal every 2-4 hours, containing 15-30g protein and a serving of veggies (V8 is my secret weapon!) I'm a very active person, currently running and playing soccer in addition to Foundation.

trw

Considering how active you are and your age I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. I have to say though that V8 will never count as a vegetable.

Aadil Siddiqi

Hmmkay.. Kinda bought into the marketing :/

Joshua Slocum

V8 is not an acceptable substitute for eating vegetables.

Aadil Siddiqi
Domz said:

Whole fruit is full of fibre and antioxidants and a ton of other stuff that is very good for your health.

Eat a variety to get the most benefit.

It will not ferment if combined with a meal. That's BS.

 

Make your own V8 but keep the plant fibre by blending instead of juicing. That will count but I have no idea how palatable it would be...

Made my own "V8", but we were low on tomatoes :P I think it had beetroot, carrot juice, a banana, Greek yogurt and milk so it wouldn't be thick. Actually, not bad :P

wheezer
Domz said:

It will not ferment if combined with a meal. That's BS.

 

 

Hmm. Tell that to my partner when she's sitting next to me an hour after I eat banana with tempeh...

Adriano Augusto

I read once: "You've to earn your fruits". So you've to move, a lot.

 

Its mainly sugar, so you've to take it when is needed. 

 

It's not definitely a bad food choice, but also not a entertainment food.

spinelli

There really shouldn't be a problem with fruit, I usually eat it as part of or just after a meal. They're full of fiber and nutrients and other good stuffs. Just don't binge out on them so that you give yourself a massive sugar spike.

Fruit juice on the other hand is not a good idea due to the fiber having been removed but then a again a glass every so often wont hurt