Next week I will be attempting week 11 mastery for all of F7 (except ABH), I expect to be able to complete most of them with slightly questionable form towards the end and so I'll almost certainly be repeating the week 9-12 microcycle at least once more.
The week after I will be traveling to Japan for about 3 weeks. What should I do to try and preserve my gains as best as possible? In the grand scheme of things it's only a couple of weeks and I may not have the time/energy to be doing regular workouts but I would like to try and not regress too much.
Also another consideration is the heat/humidity, it's meant to be much more humid and a few degrees hotter in Japan compared to where I am now.
As an aside any suggestions as for things that I must try and do/see in Japan?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Holiday maintenance
Started by spinelli, July 14, 2013 · 6 Replies · 234 Views
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Maybe you could do shorter sessions, instead of doing all the appointed exercises in one session.
For example say a session of ABH and HBP after waking up, before taking a bath. Maybe some sPL and FL work before going to sleep. That sort of thing.
Or maybe you do normal foundation sessions but at the deload week level.
But in the end. I wouldn't worry about it to much even if you do nothing. It's only 3 weeks. Even if you lose 3 months progress in 3 weeks (which you definitely won't) remember it's just one cycle
.
As for what you can do/see, I can def help with that one!
where are you going to be and how well do you know your way around (ie. do you speak the language at all and how confident are you with travelling/transport)?
I have no evidence for this, but I've always felt that doing one work-out per week was enough to maintain strength, though not enough to increase it. I'd therefore suggest one workout per week at your last highest level (i.e one day of F7, or two days of the split workout).
It shouldn't take more than an hour per week.
Dritar,-MR: The waking up and doing a little before washing sounds like a good idea, I think I'll try and do one of F7 each morning so that it doesn't get too in the way, if I manage to do this great if I don't not the end of the world ![]()
Charm: I'm spending about a week in Tokyo first then moving up to Mt fuji area and Kyoto. I think the plan then is to move onto Okinawa and then eventually back to Tokyo. I've got a very few basic phrases that I know but I'm a fairly quick learner when it comes to languages. I've traveled a little before and am fairly confident with finding my way around.
Cheers for help guys
spinelli said:Dritar,-MR: The waking up and doing a little before washing sounds like a good idea, I think I'll try and do one of F7 each morning so that it doesn't get too in the way, if I manage to do this great if I don't not the end of the world
Charm: I'm spending about a week in Tokyo first then moving up to Mt fuji area and Kyoto. I think the plan then is to move onto Okinawa and then eventually back to Tokyo. I've got a very few basic phrases that I know but I'm a fairly quick learner when it comes to languages. I've traveled a little before and am fairly confident with finding my way around.
Cheers for help guys
Mt Fuji area was my stomping grounds for 3 years
if you can be anymore specific about that I might be able to hook you up with a guide. Shizuoka, Kanagawa, Yamanashi side? Either way, the heat will be one thing, but the humidity in Asia is something else. If you're visiting Yamanashi, where I lived, then it's second only to July in Hong Kong IME.
Tokyo it's hard to know where to start! Asakusa is lovely, great food, amazing charcoal coffee, and kaminarimon temple is imo a must see. I'll write more about Tokyo a bit later, there's sort of a lot. Crazy place, you can find whatever you're looking for and half the fun is getting lost and wandering into a mom+pop bar / restaurant. Base yourself around Shinjuku station if you can, it's easiest to get everywhere.
Kyoto's all about history and culture, you meet maiko walking through Ginza. It's usually a day or two visiting the major temples, like the *big* ones. I think the most important ones are Kiyomizu-dera (holy water temple) Ginkakukuji and Kinkakuki (silver and gold pavilian-- Kin is my favourite), Arashiyama (storm mountain), and my favourite is Fushimi-Inari, the ten thousand red torii gates--- takes a few hours to walk around. The subway system is pretty straighforward here, and people are friendly. I genuinely love Kyoto. At the main subway station (and probably most of them, I think they're everywhere) you can pick up tourist maps with all the temples marked on them and a simplified cartoon of the rail system-- makes it much simpler if you don't read Japanese. If you can put aside a day to go down to Nara (takes about an hour-ish?) you can get your mind blown by the daibutsu giant Buddha statues--- it's completely gobsmacking, the sheer scale of the castles and statues made without any modern equipment. And the deer of course, they wander freely in Nara streets and have learnt to bow to Japanese people so as to be fed the senbei they sell there.
Whew. Anything sound interesting? Happy to expand on anything mentioned or go down a different tangent
I spent my time there basically exploring those three areas so I know them fairly well.
Charm: Thanks for that! Loads of great stuff for me to do. Appears that I friend i'm meeting up with has booked the middle portion of my holiday for me basically and so I've only got a few days at the start and the end where I'm on my own. Luckily those are the two places you've given the most info about: Tokyo and Kyoto. ![]()
How easy would it be to see a Sumo wrestling match? and is it worth the experience? Any foods I should definitely try/avoid? I have a fairly strong stomach ![]()