Thought One Arm Chins Were Hard?

Started by SuperBru, July 14, 2013 · 18 Replies · 5,048 Views

SuperBru

Vincearoo

Geesh, dyno four rungs up in the campus board. Brutal. I'm sure his one finger is as strong as my one hand.

stefanhinote

And I could dozens of videos of people doing Planches and say the same, so what exactly is your point?

 

And no, I'm not comparing the two.

SuperBru

Answer this question, how many videos have you seen of people performing 1 finger pull ups? Now answer this question, how many videos have you seen of people performing the planche? 

stefanhinote
SuperBru said:

Answer this question, how many videos have you seen of people performing 1 finger pull ups? Now answer this question, how many videos have you seen of people performing the planche?

I misread your title as saying one arm chins weren't hard since he did them so easily, my apologies.

SuperBru

Oh I see...what I mean't was that one arm chins are a rare skill for most people and this guy can do 1 finger pull ups, which is amazing!

Vincearoo

Honestly, I don't know how difficult one arm chin ups are for climbers. When I was climbing frequently, I know I started off doing solid 10s negative one arm chin ups without even training for it. Probably most real climbers can either do it on the spot or learn it relatively quickly.

OMGpumas

I don't agree that climbing leads directly to  chinning strength. It depends on how you climb. I've known really strong, high level climbers who find doing more than a few chin-ups difficult. Of course their grip strength is still fantastic. If you use the right technique you can climb strongly without doing much bent-arm pulling. A lot of it can be done using a strong grip and pushing with the legs.

 

On most routes you can climb by pulling yourself up with your arms, or by pushing yourself up with your legs. How you climb determines the kind of strength you build. There, are of course, a lot of climbers with excellent bent-arm pulling power.

Joshua Naterman

I'm just astounded by the size of his digital flexors... Look at his forearm from the halfway point up to the wrist... there's a whoooooole lot of muscle mass that you usually don't see on people.

Vincearoo

Yes, definitely agree with that. Climbing does not automatically put one in the position for high pulling strength, but it is much more common in that community than others.

Sinom

It is part of the story that Magnus Midtbø is one of the world’s best climbers, and that he is extremely strong even for a climber. They took out the original soundtrack on this clip, but what he says is that he prefers being very strong and explosive so that he can climb fast. You will notice he is quite buff to be a climber, but it seems to be working for him. I’m no expert, but he is supposed to be one of only 6 climbers in the world to have done a 9b grade route. 

 

Anyways it's an awesome video, and the one finger pull up is definitely one of my goals for next year!

B1214N

From what I hear, one finger OACs don't take much more pulling strength than doing OACs with the whole hand especially with the middle finger. You just need very strong finger tendons and strength so your finger can support all that weight.

Adriano Augusto

http://youtu.be/ul6CkmmDsjw

 

If you can do that, imagine what pulling ability you could have.

 

Yes, one arm chins are hard, because there aren't a lot of people doing it with perfect form, the same goes with planche and planche pushups; one arm finger pull up is another world.

 

Either way I have faith on Foundation series on this regard with Rope Climb progressions, at least to one arm chin/pullup.

B1214N
Adriano Flo said:

http://youtu.be/ul6CkmmDsjw

 

If you can do that, imagine what pulling ability you could have.

 

Yes, one arm chins are hard, because there aren't a lot of people doing it with perfect form, the same goes with planche and planche pushups; one arm finger pull up is another world.

 

Either way I have faith on Foundation series on this regard with Rope Climb progressions, at least to one arm chin/pullup.

I know that this climber is very strong based on the other video, but honestly, the video you just showed doesn't suggest or show exceptionally strong pulling ability. He was using his legs and technique to help him climb which is what any good or smart climber would do rather than using brute strength alone. 

 

One finger pull-ups aren't worlds apart from OACs/OAPs with a hand grip other than in finger strength. John Gill and others state this.

Vincearoo
B1214N said:

I know that this climber is very strong based on the other video, but honestly, the video you just showed doesn't suggest or show exceptionally strong pulling ability. He was using his legs and technique to help him climb which is what any good or smart climber would do rather than using brute strength alone.

One finger pull-ups aren't worlds apart from OACs/OAPs with a hand grip other than in finger strength. John Gill and others state this.

You don't think that showed great pulling strength? He was on a super steep overhang and his arms were definitely flexed for quite a bit of time. Maybe it wasn't great, but I definitely would not write that climb down as purely technique/leg driven.

B1214N

I didn't really see anything there that showed exceptional pulling strength since he was hanging on with both arms and legs. Duration of flexion in the arms tells you more about endurance than strength. It wasn't like he was holding a bent arm front lever. Would you even call holding a bent arm hang for 60 seconds as having strong pulling strength? Of course strength is still required to some extent even with technique and for techniques, but I wouldn't say it demonstrated great pulling strength. It there was in fact a feat(s) in that video that did demonstrate great pulling strength then I may have missed it.

Jon Douglas
B1214N said:

Would you even call holding a bent arm hang for 60 seconds as having strong pulling strength?

DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG I WORKED ON THAT??? >: (

 

 

 

 

:P

B1214N

LOL

 

I'm sure if was because you were lacking the endurance and not the strength when you had trouble with them. I know you already had very strong pulling strength based on your 10+ second full FL, front pulls, FL rows, etc. Even a 1-2 second solid full FL is considered pretty strong or respectable in my books for pulling strength. 

Jon Douglas
B1214N said:

LOL

I'm sure if was because you were lacking the endurance and not the strength when you had trouble with them. I know you already had very strong pulling strength based on your 10+ second full FL, front pulls, FL rows, etc. Even a 1-2 second solid full FL is considered pretty strong or respectable in my books for pulling strength.

Im just built for pulling i think; just about every scrap of muscle I build seems to go to my back. Im on flat tuck planches and elevated, not full, hspu while i find climbing ropes a breeze

Sometime i would love to pursue climbing, bouldering and or scrambling. Looks like a load of fun and genuinely rewarding