This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

F1 further my possible muscle imbalance?

Started by e04, July 12, 2013 · 8 Replies · 238 Views

e04

First of all, last December,  whenever I attempted headstand push ups my front delt hurts. Since F1 came out, I dropped all of my overhead pressing exercises, and started following F1 religiously.

 

Because there wasn't any overhead pressing exercises involved, so I kind of disregarded the pain I had previously. 

 

Due to my progress on F1, i'm doing way more volume on pushing exercises than pulling exercises. And I realize that it may further worsen my POSSIBLE muscle imbalance. 

 

(currently: Hbp/pe2: 5x10r, RC/pe3: 4x6r, Spl/pe1: 5x15r)

 

Yesterday, I attempted to do headstand push ups just for the sake of testing, while I was on the half way down, similar pain kicked in on both shoulders. And I know that there is still something wrong going on.

 

 

So, I'm not sure if it's muscle imbalance, or is there any other stuff going on. If muscle imbalance is the case, how do I proceed in F1 ? since it may increase the muscle imbalance. 

 

 

here are two short videos so that you guys may assess what's going on.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j3TYwr-Hf0&feature=youtu.be

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VCwGjFl_os&feature=youtu.be

Keilani Gutierrez

I'm not an expert, nor a licensed health practitioner.

 

I had some pretty noticeable imbalances before starting F1, bigger left Lat, bigger right Pec, bigger right rhomboid, bigger left arm forearm muscles,  just some stuff i picked up from practicing my technical eye after taking a few photos to see how i was doing in some mobilization exercises(dislocates) 

 

right now, after 6 months of F1, I am seeing more uniformity across my body, though i can still see differences. I can clearly feel a difference in press/pull movements. but how are your other elements? MN, SL, SLS, FL? 

 

also, does your current F1 level WOD give you anything over discomfort? 

 

I'd feel more comfortable and also more able to give any pointers on imbalances, if you'd post yourself doing a set of your F1 work, preferably from mid sets and down. (if you are currently doing 4 sets, film 3-4, if you're doing 5, film 4-5)

 

I just recently learned a bit about car maintenance and something that i could appreciate about moving mechanical pieces is that they are made to spec and put together. we are and are not to some degree. the time's we start getting out of spec is when we do imbalancing routines and those routines will start creating impingement(one reason i did not work overhead press during my pre-F1 workouts) and thats a sign of instability in joints, for sure. 

 

I can already see from where you are (in terms of numbers, we still don't know quality of reps or where your body is moving in space) there is a clear distinction between sPL(works serratus and other muscles), HBP(works arm muscles[and what is used as well in sPL, just trying to keep it seperate]) and RC(every muscle that works in the pulling department). 

 

going back to cars, if you are currently "out of spec" there will be some tell tale signs of wear and tear. let's in this case refer to metal shavings. where as there's a check engine light on a vehicle, there's a nervous system in your body that will give you pain as a "check engine" symbol. 

 

keep it pain free. but don't hold on the sweat, film those sets of the pertaining progressions and discontinue doing handstand pushups until healing is done and only re-introduce them to "play" when you are able to without pain or without risk of a set back due to injury. (one of the reasons i'm not doing muscle ups for play, even though i can...i replaced playing with muscle ups with playing with Wall handstands and the occasional body lever negative or focus punch training[my favorite target to obliterate are apples.])

Aadil Siddiqi

sPl = push

FL = pull

HBP = push

RC = pull

I don't really see any imbalances being promoted. The Manna and Side Lever are very useful for shoulder mobility, so nothing in F1 should be wrecking your shoulders. The problem, as you noted, was preexisting.

I would advise you to consult a health professional, preferably one who works with athletes or gymnasts in particular. Even if the therapeutic exercises cannot alleviate your problem, we can help you on the forum.

Keilani Gutierrez

we are in agreement. i was stating that my pre-F1 routine was the cause of my impingement and misalignment. :)

mr jones

Since FL is all core/abs in F1 wouldn't that make it 2 pushing for 1 one pulling exercise?

trw

Yeah, there's no pulling in FL in the beginning.

 

I'm sure there's a reason that overhead pressing doesn't occur in Foundation until much later. Maybe you're just not strong enough yet. Do you feel pain in any of the progressions you're currently working on? It might be that down the line you won't feel any pain at all in the HeSPU, because you'll have mastered an exhaustive series of elements that have prepared your body for the stresses of vertical pressing. In the meantime, focus on what's in front of you. It's fine to play around, but don't get ahead of yourself. Maybe find something else to play with.

vartik

you can do some rehab excercises after your F1 workout to address your imbalances.i personally do face pulls with rubber band after every workout and rear delt rows with dumbbell like once a week which makes my impindgement in left shoulder better and better

Joshua Slocum

In my estimation, the elements in Foundation 1 are far too easy to cause serious muscular imbalances. And by the time you finish F2, you'll have 3 pull exercises (FL, MN, RC) to only two push (HBP, sPL). 

 

It's also hard to imagine that your have an imbalance in favor push strength when you're further on in RC than HBP and sPL progressions  :huh:

 

Your shoulder pain could be caused by any number of issues. My first guess would be that it's mobility rather than a muscular imbalance. Go see a physician if you're worried about it. Otherwise, if Foundation isn't irritating it, keep focused on that. 

Jon Douglas
Joshua Slocum said:

In my estimation, the elements in Foundation 1 are far to easy to cause serious muscular imbalances. And by the time you finish F2, you'll have 3 pull exercises (FL, MN, RC) to only two push (HBP, sPL).

It's also hard to imagine that your have an imbalance in favor push strength when you're further on in RC than HBP and sPL progressions :huh:

Your shoulder pain could be caused by any number of issues. My first guess would be that it's mobility rather than a muscular imbalance. Go see a physician if you're worried about it. Otherwise, if Foundation isn't irritating it, keep focused on that.

This.

Don't bother looking ahead and worrying when there's plenty remedial work between now and then. Rebuild from the ground up and have no imbalances :-)