Lewie West

Started by Murija, July 12, 2013 · 14 Replies · 5,018 Views

Murija

Ok, some of you might have heard about this guy, I'm lookin for your toughts on his moves and to ask how does one come even close to a point at where Lewie is at now ;)

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmvP7phMSDI

Joshua Slocum

Spend 5-10 years doing GST, stretching and b-boying for 10-20 hours a week. 

Keilani Gutierrez

an interesting side effect of anatomy, articulations, cues, being familiar with movement patterns = opens up new planes of movement especially the  multi dimensional(3D) kind ^_^ 

 

I usually like to take breaks of watching guys like Nick Woolsey and G do beautiful artistic poi(still mind blowing) and watch tech guys see what kind of creations they've spawned from applying basic physics. it's extremely....interesting, where it's going. 

pogo69
KeilaniG said:

I usually like to take breaks of watching guys like Nick Woolsey and G do beautiful artistic poi(still mind blowing) and watch tech guys see what kind of creations they've spawned from applying basic physics. it's extremely....interesting, where it's going. 

Are you a spinner, Keilani?  While I can do basic movements, I never "got" poi.  But I used to love playing with double-staffs (has been a while)

Joshua Slocum
pogo69 said:

Are you a spinner, Keilani?  While I can do basic movements, I never "got" poi.  But I used to love playing with double-staffs (has been a while)

I don't know about Keilani, but I do Poi and Staff. 

Keilani Gutierrez
pogo69 said:

Are you a spinner, Keilani?  While I can do basic movements, I never "got" poi.  But I used to love playing with double-staffs (has been a while)

yeah! ordering podpoi once i pass mastery on a few elements ^_^ #goals

Poi just means "ball" if you've spun, you're in the club :P (unless you spin clubs...)

I actually use my tennis ball practice poi to do myofascial release. having the string on it helps me guide where i want the tennis ball to go ;) 

 

Joshua Slocum said:

I don't know about Keilani, but I do Poi and Staff. 

I had a feeling you did when you showed the same time opposites Xiaopeng. :) how long have you been at it for? got your basic modes down? (same time, split time, opposites, opposite split time) I haven't dabbled in staff yet...a friend does. it's wild. 

Joshua Slocum
KeilaniG said:

I had a feeling you did when you showed the same time opposites Xiaopeng. :) how long have you been at it for? got your basic modes down? (same time, split time, opposites, opposite split time) I haven't dabbled in staff yet...a friend does. it's wild. 

I just dabble in both. In poi I've got a couple weaves, some pendulums and a little bit of behind the back stuff. With staff I'm a little bit better. I started about a year and a half ago. I don't practice much; it's mostly something that's fun to do with other people on occasion. Here's a video if you want to see, featuring my newly made LED staff:  

yuri marmerstein
Murija said:

Ok, some of you might have heard about this guy, I'm lookin for your toughts on his moves and to ask how does one come even close to a point at where Lewie is at now ;)

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmvP7phMSDI

 

years of formal gymnastics, dance, and circus training.  Combine that with an artistic and creative mindset. 

 

you don't get lines and toe point like that from only bboying

 

 

Just remember this a highlight reel.  It's not like he did the whole thing in one take on the spot.  It probably took him a while to come up with ideas, try them, crash and flop around many times, etc to make the video what it is.

 

Lewie is awesome though, very skilled in many disciplines

Christian
Murija said:

Ok, some of you might have heard about this guy, I'm lookin for your toughts on his moves and to ask how does one come even close to a point at where Lewie is at now ;)

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmvP7phMSDI

Seriously the coolest video I seen!! Thanks for posting. Hadn't heard about this guy before.

Keilani Gutierrez
Joshua Slocum said:

I just dabble in both. In poi I've got a couple weaves, some pendulums and a little bit of behind the back stuff. With staff I'm a little bit better. I started about a year and a half ago. I don't practice much; it's mostly something that's fun to do with other people on occasion. Here's a video if you want to see, featuring my newly made LED staff:

mother of LED's! i've never seen one like that, you made it custom? or is that from Ultra?
Joshua Slocum
KeilaniG said:

mother of LED's! i've never seen one like that, you made it custom? or is that from Ultra?

Custom made by me  B-)

Keilani Gutierrez
Joshua Slocum said:

Custom made by me B-)

MIT breeds geniuses and bad asses. how'd much time/$ on the project? i couldnt see it up close, so i couldnt appreciate the details. the ends with the LED look massive though.
Joshua Slocum
KeilaniG said:

MIT breeds geniuses and bad asses. how'd much time/$ on the project? i couldnt see it up close, so i couldnt appreciate the details. the ends with the LED look massive though.

 

The final BOM was probably around $200. I ended up spending a good amount on tools and prototypes as well. It was largely an excuse to teach myself power electronics/fill out my EE tool collection. Total time invested was probably on the order of 100 man hours. A lot of that was research/design though; If I were to build another, it could probably be done in 10. I'll be doing a writeup on the internals at some point; I'll PM it to you when it's done if you like. 

Keilani Gutierrez
Joshua Slocum said:

The final BOM was probably around $200. I ended up spending a good amount on tools and prototypes as well. It was largely an excuse to teach myself power electronics/fill out my EE tool collection. Total time invested was probably on the order of 100 man hours. A lot of that was research/design though; If I were to build another, it could probably be done in 10. I'll be doing a writeup on the internals at some point; I'll PM it to you when it's done if you like. 

that would be sick...i'd really appreciate that. I was gonna start searching for plans on how to make LED lamps(either with a stand or hanging off a wall/roof.) as decoration for my Apartment and make them programmable...it'd be amazing to have a few the size of the ones on your staff as a dining room ceiling hanging, chandelier and add hanging pieces of certain glasses with diff colors. oh boy.

 

a friend of mine has a similar set up, only he went a little above that and made it follow along with sound activated ambient lighting. i was blown away with how ordinary he had his spot lit and then as soon as he plugged in his miniature iHome via bluetooth to some other bigger speakers, the place suddenly looked like a rainbow kaleidoscope.

 

i probably won't have that in my place but i would like the option of changing light spectrum(from sunlight to sunset lighting, similar to F.lux) and a host of other colors. definitely happening. yep. 

pogo69

I'd never heard of Lewie before, so highlight reel aside, thank you to the OP for the heads up!!

 

And apologies for the de-rail, but... Joshua and Keilani... I'm almost feeling a little inspired to start spinning again!!  All the H1 work (albeit at very beginner levels for now) ought to open up a world of additional possibilities with the doubles (staff).