This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Bent Arm Half Straddle Planche Hold

Started by Maugister, July 12, 2013 · 39 Replies · 2,556 Views

Joshua Slocum

1. Are you still trying to enter the BaSPl from a frog stand? It is significantly easier if you get into the position the way the athlete in the video demonstrates. 

 

2. Your PPP strength is lacking as demonstrated by your form in the video you posted. In my opinion, the most productive way for you to build the bent arm strength required for holding this position would be to fix your PPP form and re-master the exercise that way. Holding the BaSPl is not much harder than a PPP with good form and hands by the hips; if you can do 5x10 PPP with good form, you will certainly be strong enough to hold the BaSPl. 

Cole Dano

BigB looking at that PPP, I'd even want to see where your regular push ups are, I suspect that they are also arched. Even getting a GOOD push up is an achievement as I rarely see people doing them outside of this community.

Bro'
Cole Dano said:

Even getting a GOOD push up is an achievement as I rarely see people doing them outside of this community.

This is so true. At first, when I couldn't do the mastery PE2 and noticed that I wasn't progressing so quickly, I was kinda ashamed, but since then, every pushup I've seen performed was severely lacking in one or several aspects. I realised pushups are actually pretty badass.  B-)  :P

bigB

 

Update of my progress. Much less piking.

I think my back was flat. I could probably depress my scapula a little more.

 

The first exercise is Pushups, then PPP then a few attempts  of Bent Arm Straddle Plache.

I'm entering the BAsPL lower, but I can't seem to find my balance point.

MT Nordic

Excellent work on the push-ups. Your position looks good. You may want to build volume there a little. It seemed you may have been getting tired after less than 10. Your PPP body position is good I think, but hands need to be much farther back towards the hips. That'll build that shoulder scapular strength we need for the iM. Keep it up! I'm seeing good progress.

ausswe

Really huge improvement, nice work. Hands still need to go further back for the ppp but that will come in time just keep following the progressions. As for the spl-im you want to lean forward a bit more maybe take one foot off at a time and just tense the crap out of your whole body trying to stay in that position for as long as you can as you take the other foot off the ground. Hands probably want to be around hip level when leaning forward. Should almost feel like your tipping over.

Joshua Slocum

Well done. The push-ups look good, as do the PPP. However you need to work on getting the hands closer to the hips: this will build the strength required for the BAsPL.

mitko

It would be nice to see your sPL PE1/2 form. Just in case there is a problem there :)

Ravn

Hey bigB

 

Are you familiar with PPP+?

 

it's a pseudo planche pushup, but with a brief leg lift in the bottom, bent-arm position. Exactly what you are looking for as a prerequisite to the bent-arm stradlle planche.

 

Assume the PPP position with as heavy lean as you can manage. When arriving at the bottom position briefly lift the legs. Initially you can lift the legs with a small kick/push from the toes, but over time the lift is done strictly with strength by shifting the balance slightly in front of the arms. Put the feet back on the ground and push up. 

 

Easy to say when you look like me (i.e. a stick), but it may help you in your quest :)

Jon Douglas
Ravn said:

Hey bigB

 

Are you familiar with PPP+?

 

it's a pseudo planche pushup, but with a brief leg lift in the bottom, bent-arm position. Exactly what you are looking for as a prerequisite to the bent-arm stradlle planche.

 

Assume the PPP position with as heavy lean as you can manage. When arriving at the bottom position briefly lift the legs. Initially you can lift the legs with a small kick/push from the toes, but over time the lift is done strictly with strength by shifting the balance slightly in front of the arms. Put the feet back on the ground and push up. 

 

Easy to say when you look like me (i.e. a stick), but it may help you in your quest :)

I did this to give my bent arm planche a bit more love-time. Worked for me.

bigB

Thanks for the feedback.

 

The PPP+ movement sounds like a good idea.

I'll have to play around with it. Do you combine the movement with your PPP foundation work or do you perform it separately?

 

Is the PPP+ a good way to get into the bent arm planche for the IM?

I usually need a few breaths before I attempt the bent arm planche.

 

A few more cues might help.

I'm thinking if my head is hitting the ground first on failure in the bent arm planche, that means I'm closer to the end goal because I got my COM forward enough.

Jon Douglas
bigB said:

Thanks for the feedback.

 

The PPP+ movement sounds like a good idea.

I'll have to play around with it. Do you combine the movement with your PPP foundation work or do you perform it separately?

 

Is the PPP+ a good way to get into the bent arm planche for the IM?

I usually need a few breaths before I attempt the bent arm planche.

 

A few more cues might help.

I'm thinking if my head is hitting the ground first on failure in the bent arm planche, that means I'm closer to the end goal because I got my COM forward enough.

I did the PPP+ after being happy I'd mastered PPP. One thing at a time :)

I don't think it's a good way to get into it for a proper hold-- it usually leaves me a little low to brace properly. For the PPP+ it's more just lever to horizontal position, then lever back down-- not set for a hold. Like coming out of a shoulderstand to an Lsit on the Pbars or  rings.

And yes, I *always* have to reach further forward than I think I do to hit the balance.

Oliver Harris

With the Bent arm half planch, I find myself squeezing my torso or lats with my upper arms, I'm not supporting myself on my elbows at all but is it okay that there's a little bit of contact or should there be no support whatsoever? Also I'm struggling to hold for more than 6 seconds on between the frog stand but I assume I'll build up as I work through.

Joshua Slocum
Timothy Harris said:

With the Bent arm half planch, I find myself squeezing my torso or lats with my upper arms, I'm not supporting myself on my elbows at all but is it okay that there's a little bit of contact or should there be no support whatsoever? Also I'm struggling to hold for more than 6 seconds on between the frog stand but I assume I'll build up as I work through.

It's ok if there's a little contact between your arm and your lats, but you should not be actively squeezing your arms into your lats for support. 

Maugister

Year later I am doing bent arm straddle holds and PPPs feel natural and easy. No magic behind this, just perseverance. One thing that affected my training was overuse injury from handstand practice that required 7-8 month break, but luckily it affected purely finger pressure, and allowed me train most of the other movements. 

 

Hollow back press is starting to feel realistic goal :)