This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Manubrium problem

Started by Pasi Aappo Elias Niskanen, July 12, 2013 · 5 Replies · 281 Views

Pasi Aappo Elias Niskanen

Hi,

 

I have a slight case of costochondritis. It is an old wound from improper IC training that I have discontinued. It seems BL training didn't allow it to heal. I have discontinued it. Are there some exercises in F2 that should be discontinued (not permanently, of course) also? Are there some exercises that could hasten the recovery?

 

Best regards,

 

Pasi Niskanen

Helsinki, Finland

Coach Sommer

- Unfortunately these type of issues are all together too common when someone without sufficient expertise attempts to train higher level ring strength on their own or follows advice from someone who is merely a self-appointed expert rather than the real thing.

 

For long term, relatively injury free, strength gains; ring strength MUST always be developed in a particular order and built upon a particular physical "Foundation". 

 

These are not my rules; they are nature's rules.  People fail to heed them at their own peril.

 

- My advice is to start with F1; not F2.  As you work your way thru the RC progressions the elbows issues should resolve themselves naturally; unless you have already done significant structural damage.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Pasi Aappo Elias Niskanen

Thank you for a swift answer.

At least the symptoms do not indicate a shoulder problem. The only symptom is slight tenderness at the sternal angle of the sternum.

I would like to hear which of the exercises strain especially the pectoralis major muscles so I'll know to do them at several levels below my mastery (if at all). Prior to buying the F-series, I have been working with your book "Building the Gymnastic Body: The Science of Gymnastics Strength Training" and have indeed enjoyed steady and injury free strength gains. This sternum issue arose when I deviated from your book and (out of pride and curiosity) just "tried out" the IC a few times (needless to say, without adequate preparatory work).

After testing out for mastery, I find that I have F2 mastery (only) in FL and RC. FL because of your book and RC because of being a 7A boulderer prior to getting into GST.

 

 

Not looking beyond the master's word,

 

Pasi Niskanen,

Helsinki, Finland

Joshua Naterman

Gentle heat can help the area heal faster if it is not currently inflamed. Aside from that, gentle-ish cross-friction massage for no more than 10 seconds per cm (10 seconds where your fingers are, then move to the next spot) for a maximum total of 60s, once or twice a day, can also help.

 

Good luck with your recovery! You shouldn't need too much luck if you start off with F1.

Pasi Aappo Elias Niskanen

After testing for mastery, my program:

 

FL/PE14: Kip Extension (at mastery)

FL/PE14>iM: Low Bridge Single Leg

 

sPL/SE3: Tuck Planche

sPL/SE1>iM: Bent Arm 1/2 Straddle Planche Hold

Comment: Oddly enough, here's a big difference in performance

 

SL/PE11: Side Arch Body Hold

SL/PE11>iM: Bent Reverse Hurdler Rep

 

MN/SE1: 1/2 L-sit

MN/SE1>iM: Seated Pike Lift

 

SLS/SE5: Single Leg Squat

SLS/SE5>iM: Glute Ham Raise

 

HBP/PE13: Ring Dip

HBP/PE13>iM: Prone Capsule Static

Comment: I believe ring dips will aggravate my costochondritis, and thus I will drop it for now.

 

RC/PE14: Wide Grip Behind the Neck Pull-up (at mastery)

RC/PE14>iM: Shoulder Distraction Two

Comment: I believe the iM will aggrate my costochondritis, and thus I will drop it for now.

Pasi Aappo Elias Niskanen

Joshua, 

 

Thanks for the advice on cross-friction massage! It helped a lot!

 

Best regards,

 

Pasi Niskanen,

Helsinki, Finland