Uneven Bars settings

Started by Sailor Venus, July 12, 2013 · 6 Replies · 6,478 Views

Sailor Venus

Is it possible to change the settings so the two bars are far enough apart to allow me to do giants on the upper rail without straddling my legs to avoid hitting the lower rail?

 

I'm 5 foot 7. NCAA gymnast Sarie Morrison is two inches taller than me. She's taller than most female gymnasts out there! I'm not sure how she does giants without hitting the lower rail. But from what I saw from her videos, she either straddles her legs or goes into an arch shape while swinging.

 

For some reason I keep believing taller gymnast are at a disadvantage on the bars whilst shorter girls aren't.

Joshua Slocum

Uneven bars are adjustable. Ask the person who's in charge of the equipment in your gym whether it's OK for you to adjust the bars. If they allow it, you can experiment with making the bars further apart. I don't think most bars go far enough to allow a 5'7" person to do giants, though. Most women will either straddle or pike through the bottom to avoid hitting the lower rail. 

Sailor Venus

Thank you.

Linnette

My daughter has the same problem.  Why can't  the distance between bars, restricted to a maximum of 150 cm, be changed?  Shouldn't the sport cater to the taller athletes too?  Or is the restriction there for safety?

Cole Dano

Generally the girls use a slightly different technique than the men. Either straddling or hollowing, piking more to clear.

 

I read some people speculating that one day the girls will also only use one rail, but I imagine that's a long way off.

Joshua Slocum
Cole Dano said:

Generally the girls use a slightly different technique than the men. Either straddling or hollowing, piking more to clear.

I read some people speculating that one day the girls will also only use one rail, but I imagine that's a long way off.

That'd be too bad. A lot of the most interesting moves on uneven bars go from bar to bar.

Cole Dano

Don't worry, it was highly speculative. It may never happen, but with more and more release skills the thought was it could very well evolve that way.