This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Heart Rate Variability as a measure of recovery

Started by Mark Collins, July 12, 2013 · 16 Replies · 433 Views

Mark Collins

I have just started measuring my heart rate variability (HRV) to check my recovery levels. I am constantly trying to find the balance of how often to workout and to combine F1, H1 and crossfit. Recovery and optimal training frequency is a common question from all athletes. This seems to be a really good assessment tool that has good scientific research backing it. I have pasted a quote from ithlete below.

Has anyone else used HRV with their training?

"Monitoring Heart Rate Variability is so much more valuable than just monitoring heart rate.

Heart rate variability (usually known as HRV) is a relatively new method for assessing the effects of stress on your body. It is measured as the time gap between your heart beats that varies as you breathe in and out. Research evidence increasingly links high HRV to good health and a high level of fitness, whilst decreased HRV is linked to stress, fatigue and even burnout.

ithlete measures your HRV, as well as your resting heart rate, every morning during a 1 minute test. After you have built up a baseline over a few days, the ithlete software algorithms compare your daily readings with baseline to determine if any significant changes have taken place. These are reflected in traffic lights for today's training and a chart to help you track trends.

HRV as a tool to monitor overtraining

Simple measures of the small changes in each beat of your heart can provide a wealth of information on the health of your heart & nervous system; such measures are called heart rate variability or HRV. Originally applied to assess the risks for patients who suffered a heart attack, HRV analysis is now becoming a standard tool in sports science research & coaching practice.

Since researchers first found significant changes in the nervous systems of athletes involved in hard training for the rowing world championships (Iellamo, 2002), a number of studies have tried to use HRV as a tool to monitor overtraining. In general such studies show that HRV is much lower in overtrained athletes than healthy ones (Mourot, 2004).

The problem is, when you are overtrained it is too late. It might take weeks or months to get back to full fitness, so what you need is a daily measure to tell you how well your nervous system is doing. Daily monitoring using standard HRV methods have shown that listening to you heart via HRV can not only stop you overtraining but actually make your training more effective. (Manzi, 2009).

The idea is quite simple. Monitor your HRV every morning and train as normal. If your HRV drops significantly, take this as an early warning that you are overloading the system. A small drop is OK as long as you recover. Training is, after all, about stress and recovery and a hard session, especially on top of accumulated fatigue, will lower your HRV.

But if your HRV stays low even with rest you could be on the edge of trouble. In my opinion, using daily HRV to monitor training stress is the best thing you can do to make your training safe and effective. So listen to your heart."

spyro7800

I just know Joel Jamieson is using it with MMA fighters...I am also interested about the topic :)

SuperBru

Interesting post Mark. I like the idea, however there is such a thing as "over analysing" and I believe this fits the criteria.

Bissen

I don't find it hard to believe. I went down with a case of overtraining two weeks ago, and I was horrified of how humiliatingly LOW level my cardiovascular conditioning very suddenly became. I'm not 100% recovered, but much better.

 

If I ever get a decent HR-measure thingy, I might try it out for a while :) ... maybe.

Art Vandelay
SuperBru said:

Interesting post Mark. I like the idea, however there is such a thing as "over analysing" and I believe this fits the criteria.

I disagree.

 

Reading an ECG can tell you a lot about an individuals heart health and function.  HRV is one component of reading an ECG (rhythm). The heart is regulated by your autonomic nervous system, and if that's disrupted (e.g. by fatigue) then it can cause changes in heart rate and rhythm. 

Art Vandelay

Sounds interesting. What are you using to measure it? I've got a generic Polar HR monitor, but it seems you need an ECG receiver to plug into a smart phone.

Mark Collins
SuperBru said:

Interesting post Mark. I like the idea, however there is such a thing as "over analysing" and I believe this fits the criteria.

There has always been a lot of guesswork in knowing when the body has recovered. If the HRV works and it only takes one minute I am more than happy to do it. Especially if it means I progress quicker. I am a numbers nerd though, so this type of analysis appeals to me.

Is it any more overanalysing than measuring our weight, bodyfat, calories, protein etc that we do with our nutrition?

Interesting today when I measured my HRV it jumped from 66 to 86 after having a rest day. I also noticed my resting HR went from 70 to 55 today. No excuses today as I have Foundation, handstand and Crossfit planned for today. I have a deload week next week so it will be interesting to see if my HRV increases.

Mark Collins
Art Vandelay said:

Sounds interesting. What are you using to measure it? I've got a generic Polar HR monitor, but it seems you need an ECG receiver to plug into a smart phone.

I bought a product from ithlete in the UK that has a chest strap and a receiver than plugs into my ipad/iPhone. It only costs $80 Australian with free delivery. You can buy a Polar watch that does measure HRV, but they cost $450-500.

Keilani Gutierrez

Mark....

 

this is sweet.

 

thank you. 

 

#nerdguysunite

SuperBru

Don't get me wrong guys I would use this device quite often if I had access to it. 

Keilani Gutierrez
SuperBru said:

Don't get me wrong guys I would use this device quite often if I had access to it.

if you would like to use it, just write it down as a goal. every week put something towards it (sometimes i've put a handful of change towards something i wanted to buy) and then buy it :) i just wrote it down and once i master sPL, HBP, SLS and RC 1, im gonna buy it. #goals

doing the same thing with the seminar(got $350 saved for it so far)

set goals. carry them out. :)

my next one is to integrate iron vest/straight jacket into my training. still need to meet someone who knows how to do it safely though. lol

Mark Collins

My gymnastics was a lot better today after resting yesterday. My arch rocks and Cossack squats were the best I have done. I was meant to do some overhead squats and snatches, but as my HVR was so low I took the day off.

Interestingly, I took my reading one hour after my workout and my HR was elevated from 55 to 80 and my HRV had already dropped from 86 to 71.

Keilani Gutierrez

how long have you been using it for, Mark?

Mark Collins

I only got it this week. It is early days, but it looks like it will really help me with my programming.

I found this site http://hrvtraining.com/ really helpful in understanding how to use the HRV. He also goes through the research.

Hercules

I sure don't see any overanalysis - but a great tool for objectively managing rest and recovery.

 

Stall bars, foundation 2, textbooks for coursera, now this.... I need a job. 

Mark Collins

I remember reading they chose a minute time frame as the four minutes lead to poorer compliance.

spinelli

Did anyone see this the other day?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b038p1pm/Horizon_20132014_Monitor_Me/

 

I don't think it can be viewed out of the UK but you may be able to find it through some interent voodoo if you look for Horizon: Monitor me.

For those of you who can't see it it's about how technology has now progressed to a point where we can constantly monitor our health using inexpensive gadgets and how this can be used to optimize training, minimize soft tissue trauma (Englands Rugby 7s collet all manner of stats on heart rate and movement and soft tissue injuries have fallen by 80%!) and predict the onset of an illness at the earliest point possible etc etc.

Some really exciting stuff I'm sure you'll agree. I will try and find some of the apps and technologies mentioned if I get time but at the moment that is pretty short