treating as a skill

Started by jandzel, July 10, 2013 · 6 Replies · 1,457 Views

jandzel

How does everyone go about treating an exercise as skill practice? Like every day I work on my handstands, how would I go about making this a skill session? The way I am wired i always end up over doing it! 

 

For my workouts on m,w,f, I practice handstands for about 15-20 minutes before my workouts. On the days in between my workouts I practice for about 30-60 minutes.  I walk around the park and just practice kicking up over and over again until I feel satisfied with my session. I always finish with a decent hold. A lot of the time it takes me a good 10-15 minutes just to find that sweet balancing spot. My max handstand at this time is about 10-12 seconds, but I am still very inconsistent. I'd say my average balance time is 4-5 seconds. Is it correct the way I am structuring this, or should I should I do it differently? Should I strive for 60 seconds of quality work every day? How has everyone had success? I appreciate any input or tips? Thanks guys!

Blairbob

Depends. Is it detracting from your regular planned workouts?

jandzel

It seems like my l-sits have been suffering after warming up with maybe too intense of handstand practice sessions prior to workout

aiken54

Where are the l-sits placed within your workout? Also, your warm up is meant to get your blood flowing and your muscles ready for more intense work, not tire them out for said intense work.

jandzel

I do my l-sits directly after hs work, or sometimes in combination. Is there another way I should work l-sits? maybe before my handstand skill warm up?

Blairbob

 Yeah, I would probably do your L-sits (V/manna work) before your skill work.

jandzel

Blair-

 

So something like this...

 

l-sit- 60 sec work

then

hs practice

then

main workout for the day